Oliver + S

favorite sewing books?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Quick, I need your help! Please tell me your favorite How to Sew books, preferably books that are still in print. I’ll be running to the bookstore later this week to look at them but would love to hear which books you turn to or refer others to for basic sewing information and advice. Personally, I’m annoyed at myself for giving away The New Sewing Essentials (Singer Sewing Reference Library), but I see it’s out of print anyway. Any other books you really like and I should look at? There must be a few really good books out there, right? Heather Ross’s Weekend Sewing has a nice section in the back that I like which explains grain, fabric body, how to choose a sewing machine, etc. Others you would suggest?

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

Here is a ‘new’ beginners sewing book from simplicity that is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/073942100X/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

But the two I refer to most are more detailed and specific:

Claire Shaeffer’s “Couture Sewing Techniques” (which despite the title does discuss some basics, as those are the foundation to exquisite details); and Carol Ahles’ “Fine Machine Sewing”. I also constantly refer to Sandra Betzina’s “More Fabric Savvy”–it gives me an idea of where to start my own tests for needle size, thread, finishes, etc.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

The one I taught myself with was bought six months ago and is from the “Teach Yourself Visually” series and has the catchy title “sewing”. It was OK – and the pics are useful. But I often found it did not give me the “why”, which I always find really useful. Although it is fairly comprehensive there is not enough detail about each technique for my preference.

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

Another vote for “More Fabric Savvy” by Sandra Betzina. It’s the garment sewer’s fabric bible! I also have her Power Sewing book which is pretty good, and her fitting book which is meh.

Personally, I’m kicking myself for giving away my 1970 Reader’s Digest sewing guide. It was a gem!

LINK
    june @june

I enjoy reading “Fine Machine Sewing”, not quite very “basic” sewing how-to book, but full of tips and ideas I feel like to try.

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Machine-Sewing-Revised-Embellishing/dp/1561585866/

Google books has its preview data.

http://books.google.co.jp/books?id=4rVRUgzo3GEC

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Okay, Liesl – I’m sending you the very best book on the planet. It’s out of print but there a MILLLLLLLION to be found used. I’m curious as to what you think, too.

Okay, sending you two books – one is the Singer Sewing Book, which I carry on a regular basis. The other is the one I was telling you about in Vermont but couldn’t remember the name: Bishop’s Method of Clothing Construction. I really am interested to know your viewpoint on the 2nd one.

I’ll put them in tomorrow’s mail.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

By the way, it was the Bishop’s Method of clothing Construction that showed me how to increase and decrease (width) a pattern with amazing success for SweetPea.

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

There are a lot of great sewing books out there. I like the Reader’s Digest sewing guide and also the Fine Sewing guide. I’ve found most of the best sewing books in the used book store in my public library. Many public libraries run used book stores to raise money and have vintage as well as new titles. You might have a bit of luck and find a bargain.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thanks, everyone. I’ll look at them in the bookstore on Friday, and I’m familiar with most of the vintage/out of print books you’ve listed but I may go back to review some of them again. I appreciate your help!

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Just wondered if you’re familiar with a british magazine called Selvedge? It’s not like any other sewing magazine – more about textiles. Very beautiful and inspirational. Also some really interesting historical stuff. I think you’d love it. They have a website which gives you a flavour. I know it’s available in the U.S. Pricey but worth it.

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Just seen they also have a blog. Have a look!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, I love that magazine! Isn’t it great? I haven’t read it in a while, but I it’s always been inspirational.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I know I’m only 2 months late in giving my suggestion, but sometimes it takes my brain that long to fully engage.

I received the “A to Z of Sewing: the Ultimate Guide for Beginning to Advanced Sewing” by Country Bumpkin Publications for Christmas. While it doesn’t contain any projects, it is an awesome reference manual. It has a lot of pictures, which I love. I’m a very visual learner and adore the step by step photos.

I own a few others in the “A to Z” series and have yet to be disappointed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.