Oliver + S

Favorite Baby Boy Pattern

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Oh how I have missed everyone! I went on a knitting hiatus and my sewing mojo is back (plus the daughter has outgrown all of her previous O+S duds…so now I must make more).

Any way, I have a few friends having babies this year, and I want to sew some outfits. I have a plethora of appropriate girl patterns, but what looks cute on chubby little new baby boys? I’ve been perusing flickr all afternoon for inspiration!

So, What is your favorite pattern for a baby boy under size 12 months?

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Tea party playsuit hands down! I’ve made buckets of them over the years, for my boys and others! Size up for cloth diapers! Katja

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I haven’t made baby boy clothes with Oliver + s patterns yet but I would have to say my favourite boy pattern (no matter the size) would be the sketchbook shirt and shorts. It would be a very manly outfit on a little fellow that’s for sure.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

is it ok to give an answer that’s not O + S? when my little boy was that small there were no O + S patterns for little boys 🙂 and my favourite was Burda 9772 (which i changed to put in snaps at the legs)… i must have made about 10 pairs of them i loved them so much!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’d make the Sailboat, with the top in a knit and snaps instead of buttons at the neck. The pants could be knit or woven — or how about something like a herringbone flannel? Easy to wriggle into, and well proportioned for a chubby little baby body.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Good to know about the sailboat pattern! I plain on buying this pattern late this week, any tips?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Personally,all my babies wore white smocked nighties for the first few months to facilitate quick nappy changes. If the gift was for a traditional mum I think the Bubble dress(with out scallops)in the 0-3 month would be divine in pale blue or white for a tiny baby boy.

They are generally wrapped up any way,so the dear little bodice would only be on show. It would be perfect in a hot day.

Sharon,if you make the Sailboat in a knit there is no need to ease the sleeve caps in,they will stretch to fit.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Thank you Nicole! I will be trying my hand at this one later in the week.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, good point about the quick-change bottoms! I totally forgot — it’s been too long since I had a teensy one to change 🙁

Oh, and my only tip for the sailboat is that it can be tricky for the littlest ones to wriggle into if you make the top from a woven. Once they know how to stick their arms up and slide the shirt down it’s no problem anymore.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

it’s also probably useful to know if she’s using cloth or disposable nappies/diapers… cause lots of patterns don’t work so well with cloth… the O+S patterns i’ve made in pants (i’ve only made the puppet show shorts and sailboat pants so far) are pretty slim fitting… you will need to go up MANY sizes to accomodate cloth… my baby girl was in size 2 puppet size shorts from 3 months of age… they’re getting pretty tight on her now as well- she’s 8 months old now (with her chubby bottom and cloth nappies)…

personally i don’t love using too many buttons on baby clothes… a quick clothes change is a good clothes change when you’ve got a crying baby (or squirmy as mine is now!!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.