Oliver + S

Fabric requirements for the Ice Cream Dress

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Here are the fabric requirements for the new Ice Cream Dress pattern.

Happy sewing!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Hi Liesl,

I just finished cutting out the pieces for the View A ice cream dress. I wanted to let you know that I think there is an error in the fabric requirements listed for this. The pattern calls for 3/4 yd for View A, Fabric A. Fabric A is shown as the yoke, bottom panel, and pocket trim in the layout. I bought 1 yd just because – well – you know – it’s fabric and who can have too much? HA. Anyway, I would not have been able to get the pieces out of 3/4 yard. In fact, I had just under 1/4 yd left over and I didn’t cut out the trim for the pockets. I’m not sure if I’m missing something, but it seems like this should call for 1 yd instead of 3/4 yd.

Can’t wait to get it sewn together now!!

Sandi

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Sandi,

What size are you making? I’m assuming it’s the size 5, since that’s the last size that take 3/4 yard for View A, Fabric A.

I’m looking at the pieces on the fabric width, and you should should be able to fit them all within 26″, which is less than 3/4 of a yard. They fit more closely together than the larger sizes on the cutting layout, so the hem pieces are almost next to each other but slightly staggered.

Here’s an image of how the pieces should be laid out to fit.

This illustration shows the size 5 pieces laid out on 42″ wide fabric to account for the selvedges, so everything should fit. If it doesn’t, however, please let me know and I’ll look into it further!

By the way, it’s ALWAYS a good idea to buy a little extra fabric. Your comment about this made me laugh–I like how you “justify” it. Cheers!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Hi Liesl,

Yes, I am making a size 5. I see 2 differences between the layout you are showing and what I did. The first is that your layout only shows cutting 2 of the bottom panels, but the pattern says to cut 4. The second is that I used striped fabric (with stripes running along the length of the yardage) and I wanted the stripes to be vertical so I had to turn the pieces 90 degrees from what you are showing. I actually had to use all of the selvedge and went over a teeny bit on the width of the bottom panel. If I were making size 6 or bigger, I would not have been able to get 2 pieces per width and would have been forced – forced – under duress – to return to that horrible fabric store where they MAKE me buy pretty things and bring them home. LOL. I think that your layout is missing the extra 2 pieces of the bottom panel?

Thanks, Sandi

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sandi, you’re absolutely right! That double hem was a late addition, and I completely forgot about it when I did the cutting layouts and fabric yardage. Thanks so much for pointing it out, and I’ll issue an errata shortly. Fortunately, you can still make the dress with the single-thickness hem, but it’s so nice with the double-thickness.

Thanks for the laugh about buying fabric. I know, it’s awful to have to buy such pretty things, isn’t it?

LINK
    Anonymous @

Ok – good – I mean I’m glad I’m not losing my mind here. Also glad to help. I’ll finally have time to sew this one up today. I’m using a cupcake print for the main dress part. I’m making it for my daughter to wear for her birthday party this weekend. Can’t wait to see it on her! : )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.