Oliver + S

Fabric requirements?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

So, I am planning to order fabric for a view B secret agent coat, size 4. The envelope says that 2.5 yds of fabric are needed for 58 in wide fabric, but when I do the layout given, I am coming up with only 2 yds of fabric needed. When I modify the layout to my own way, I can do it in 1.5 yds of fabric.

I am certain that I have traced the right sizes and I am sure I have all of the pattern pieces…any other ideas of what I could be missing? I don’t want to over order fabric…and if I can get away with less, I will be thrilled!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I made a size 4 (with extra length) out of significantly less fabric than the packet suggestion too. Although mine was the view A, hence less fullness to the bottom half.

If you lay it out and it works then order only what you’ll need. I think the generosity in the fabric requirements is to cover fabrics with one directional patterns etc.

There’s a little reference here: https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=1512 that I started for recording how little fabric I could get away with for some patterns. I think it links to a Secret Agent layout that I did. Feel free to add to it.

LINK
    stylememary @stylememary

I, too, cut view B with significantly less fabric than suggested. However, I ended up buying extra anyway in case I wanted to make a matching hat or attempt to add a hood to the pattern.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Use your layout but maybe order a little more as it Is very frustrating to make a mistake and not be able to re cut the piece! Just make sure you check you grainlines. Have fun it is a lovely pattern to sew.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.