Site icon Oliver + S

Ethical concerns

I am really interested in what others think about trying to sew things more ethically. I think there has been reference to this in a number of other posts, and on the blog. (If I am duplicating a post please merge it/bump the old thread!) If we are sewing ourselves we are doing away with part of the manufacturing process. What about fabric choices and sourcing? Have you found places which state where the fabric was manufactured? Are some fabrics inherently better to use due to where and how they are grown, pesticides etc? I was after some denim the other day and as my two kidlets are young, I could find an old pair of battered jeans in a charity shop to cut up. However that wont be an option for much longer. As some liberty print is still printed in the UK (*I think) I feel better about buying it as I know that at least the people doing the printing (possibly not the weaving?) will have been paid minimum wage and will be entitled to be unionised etc. What do you think about when you are making fabric choices, and do you have any good stores or online sites/other resources to recommend? Helena
Exit mobile version