Oliver + S

Dresses can be pulled-over head without the closure? (Decorative vs functional)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

To be clear, I’m not trying to NOT do buttons or zippers. Just simply make patterns for my daughter that keep her independent. I wonder how many of the dress patterns have decorative closures, that actually don’t need to be un-done for her to out on? She likes to dress herself (hooray!) and I like to encourage that independence.

What dress patterns have you sewn where you realized the closures were decorative, rather than functional? (Meaning, you could pull them on/off over-head without undoing the bottom/zipper) Thanks!!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I found the Library Dress can be pulled over the head easily without the back buttons. I’m sure I’ll eliminate them next time around. 2+2, however, does need a little more room to go over the head, though it doesn’t necessarily need to unbutton all the way down then back. You could cut it on the fold and cut a little slit in the back and have just one button.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

In my experience, the following can be put on without undoing the buttons:

Playtime dresses made in knit (but not in woven).

Family Reunion as long as the bodice isn’t a close fit (I like to size down for that one).

Ice Cream

Seashore Sundress

Jumprope as long as you aren’t buttoning the top button (which we never do).

I am not sure about the Bubble Dress; I think we have to undo them.

You definitely cannot do it with the Playdate dress.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hopscotch dress!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Class picnic has no closures, and I think a sail boat top in knit may be ok.

LINK
    Little_Anj @Little_Anj

Sailboat in knit as Heidi said does not need to be undone. I made one earlier this week for my 2.5 year old and it goes over his noggin no worries 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Um, I have to say that I’ve never been able to get Ice Cream over her head without undoing the buttons and I have made at least one for every season. In fact, I always have to add a bigger slit to the back of Ice Cream in order to get it over her head. I know my girl has a really large head, but still.

Picnic is a great option – the elastic in the shoulders makes it even easier.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

If you aren’t opposed to buttons, why not make only 1 (or only on 1 side of the garment – thinking sailboat here, i.e) of them functional? With almost everything I’ve made my daughter, excluding those with buttons completely down the back, I can only unbutton 1 button to allow enough room for her to just pull on. If you go for decoration only, would you still make the buttonholes? If so, slitting one or two might be a solution.

PS, I don’t think my girl could put the Seashore or the Playdate on without unbuttoning unless I sized up.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Yes, I suppose it is worth mentioning here that my girl has a small head (inherited from her father) and narrow shoulders.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

Class picnic all the way! And of course the knit items – dresses and shirts.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

I’ve also heard that the back buttons on the 2+2 are not always necessary to pull over the head, but I’m not sure that would work with my big-noggin kid.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve tried to avoid buttons with 2+2 but have not been successful. Still, one button in the back would be enough for a child to do it along.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

2+2 without buttons was not successful for me either.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Perhaps it is obvious, but the badminton dress/top has no closure. The front ribbon is purely decorative.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Can I say, in some of the outfits, I’m lazy and don’t even button the buttons (Ice cream, swingset). I’ve even just sewn the button on and left it decorative LOL.

<

Lazy.

ETA: I’ve done the 2+2 without buttons……I added extra fabric at the fold (I’d have to check my notes to see exactly what I did), and widened the back neck curve a bit. I also found that it helps when putting ON the blouse– to get that back neckline opening at the crown of the head, then pull down. (This reminds me, I need to make some more. Widget has outgrown her last 2+2. Le sigh. )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.