Oliver + S

Dress maker shears?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

I was wondering if many of you use nice, heavy dress maker shears or just inexpensive fabric scissors? I have fabric scissors that have an angle, and they are sharp enough to cut fabric, but wonder if I shouldn’t go ahead and invest in actual shears. Will the difference in quality and ease of use blow me away?

I saw a rather large pair at Joann’s, and a smaller pair next to them. The smaller pair was labeled dress maker shears, while the larger pair was not. They looked identical except for size. Would the larger size be too cumbersome?

Any reviews or opinions? Should I look for a particular brand?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Also think about the handle. I have two pairs of sewing scissors, one is amazingly sharp and cuts beautifully, but the handle is all metal and after cutting out one or two pattern pieces it really hurts my hands to use them. My other pair is a much cheaper pair (from Woolworths, aus I think), they have a black handle with blue grips/padding, these almost never hurt my hands to cut with and cut almost as well as the all metal pair, I probably need to replace them as I think they are getting a little blunt after 3 years continuous sewing!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There was a post about scissors but I have having trouble finding it.

I use spring loaded Fiskars,I buy several pairs when they are on sale.

They start off as fabric only,as they blunt they go to trimming,then interfacing,then general use.

I have several lovely pairs of shears that can be sharpened but as I have RA damage in my wrists I find them too heavy.

I have spring loaded Fiskar pinking shears which are a thing of beauty!

~Nicole~

LINK
    teresacoates @teresacoates

I bought Kai shears (http://www.kaiscissors.com/category.php?category_id=46) almost a year ago and fell in love immediately. They are spendy, but worth every single penny. The handles are comfortable. They cut through a half-dozen layers of fabric like it’s just one layer. They feel great, nicely weighted. They are the best scissors I’ve tried.

A strong second, would be Havel’s scissors (http://www.havelssewing.com/fabric-scissors.html). They aren’t quite as weighted as the Kai and couldn’t do quite as many layers, but they cut beautifully and come in all sorts of sizes. I have used the curved embroidery tip scissors, too, and they’re great.

I also have Gingher’s in a few sizes, both dressmaker shears and pinking shears. I like them well enough, but never use them to cut out fabric, just trim things when I need to.

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Thank you for your replies! I had not thought about the metal handle being uncomfortable. Thanks for pointing that out, Heidi. Mine are inexpensive Mundial (thought they were Fiskars) with rubbery handles and a serrated cutting edge. I like them fine, but they are getting a bit dull and thought if I have to replace them I might as well get something better.

I was at Joann’s last night, Nicole, and saw the spring loaded scissors! Those looked so neat, so thank you for your review of them. Especially about buying up several pair and “phasing” them. I guess I don’t think like that very much. I buy a pair of $15 scissors and expect them to last forever, lol! I think I will buy a couple pair this weekend when I go back to get some Lisette patterns on sale. About how often would you say you dull a pair cutting fabric? Every couple of months or so?

Teresa, thanks for the link and review of the other brands. Those are a bit spendy for me right now, although I believe you when you say they are worth it! They look heavy duty–like what my grandmother’s used.

LINK
    mela @mela

Is there a difference between dressmaker shears, tailor shears and professional shears? I have seen different companies use different terms and I’m wondering if it means anything specific. thank you!!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

I’m not sure if there is a difference. I’ll look at Joann’s tomorrow and see if I find the different names and if the packages designate a difference.

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Mela,

The only difference I could see in the scissors was size-Tailor-10″, Professional (were they called that? I can’t remember)-9″, and Dressmaker-8′. The tailor’s shears looked like a weapon, they were so long! They were also very pointed, maybe that’s another significant difference.

I ended up getting the spring assisted Fiskars Nicole mentioned–I LOVE THEM! I also picked up a pair of pinking shears and those are fun, too!

LINK
    mela @mela

Thank you so much for looking into that!! The spring loaded scissors sound pretty dreamy, though. I might have to try some, too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am so glad you like them!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Yes, I do! Thanks for the recommendation, Nicole! They really stay nice and low to the table which keeps the fabric from lifting so much like my older pair. The older pair has been demoted, poor things.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.