Oliver + S

Do you say Oliver AND S or Oliver PLUS S?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    mrsc1345 @mrsc1345

The ladies at my local fabric store call these patterns Oliver plus S, and it drives me batty, because in my mind, it is clearly Oliver and S. But, I guess I don’t really know what is right, is it plus or and? I’m curious, what do you guys call it?

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

And. 🙂

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

And. But I’ve seen the use of the “+” in quite a few of my favorite blogs for the 5 years or so, and I’m kind of addicted to using the + now! lol.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

And. But I am in the habit of using the plus sign to mean “and” so it makes perfect sense to me.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

it is like reading a math problem: “1 + 1 = 2” is read aloud as “one and one is two”.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Suggest they look at the email address oliverands.com

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Gosh it is so confusing when people say things totally different to how they are supposed to be. It is all about where they are from and how that area pronounces things. Like AL – bany and ALL – bany two towns spelt the same pronounced different. I thought Grammar was generic?!

Hope they are enlightened by the email address and cease to drive you batty.

I like your very simple explanation Lizabeth.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Perfect Nicole.

I see loads of people scribble something very similar to the “+” sign as a sort of short hand representation of “and”. No one else ever seen that? Because of this, I always read it as “and”.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

In math, I say “plus”. One plus one equals two. (or three or or four or five :)) But in language, the + is shorthand for “and.” i.e. the Watsons are Melanie *and* Tom, not Melanie *plus* Tom.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.