Oliver + S

Demin pants

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Where does everyone get there denim from?

I’m super picky about MY jeans, and I don’t know why I’m being so picking about denim to use for O+S patterns. I have a few pairs of my favorite jeans that are thin but cozy…..and SO soft. But every place I go to that has Denim for sale, it’s always so stiff on the bolt—does it soften in the washer? I imagine it’s just like cottons they use chemicals to make it pretty on the bolt.

I’m itching to make some denim pants for Maria. Maybe some sail boat pants, or even the after school pants.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have to second this question, I am too wanting to try the after school in demin but not sure where to find some good fabric at.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

So far I have just used my old jeans that were destined for the donation box. I made a Sailboat Skirt and two pairs of non O+S shorts. For smaller sizes, you can get enough material out of a large pair of jeans.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Denim comes in different weights so the lighter the oz the lighter the denim. I’ve mainly purchased denim because my children are bigger and I’ve gone to my local Spotlight for this. Having said that though, I have also bought from Fabric.com and there denim is nice to use also.

Denim is a form of cotton (unless it contains spandex) fabric so will soften up in the wash. I don’t do anything special when washing it for the first time other than overlocking (serging) the edges because it tends to fray. I don’t use fabric softener on it and I stick it in the drier in order for it to get used to how it would be washed as a garment.

I think that if you can upcycle your jeans, this is the most effective way of getting the denim you want and if your daughter is still little enough for you to get a pair out for her, that is what I would do.

I think all the pants patterns from O+S look great in denim. I even made a muisc class skirt in denim and that turned out really well. So whatever pattern you choose, it will turn out great.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I guess I really should use my old ones. I doubt I’d fit into them anytime soon anyway! lol

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

From an industry stand-point a lot of denim is pre-softened using enzymes and elaborate techniques (you remember sandwashing and acid washed jeans, right?). Recycling denim is a great way to get the same results without all the extra labor and materials. And worn, pre-softened denim is almost certainly more comfortable to wear than the really stiff, just-off-the-bolt denims. You can find denim in many different weights and washes, but it will take a lot of effort to get the same softness as your old jeans!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.