Oliver + S

*cries* help me with my View A skirt dilemma

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m using vintage fabric and I made a crucial mistake. I cut only one skirt panel. I’m making 2 jump rope dresses view A and cut all the fabric a few weeks ago making the same mistake on both dresses. I’ve sewed the top and I just hit the section to sew those 2 panels together and realized I only had one panel. I went back through my fabric scraps to see what my options are and I don’t have enough to even consider another panel or doing some sort of stripework or patchwork to correct my mistake. WWYD?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it was me and I would consider making the skirt from a contrast and adding a hem band (something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/9326629532/in/set-72157632815351345 )

You could cut the front that you have to do this.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Ouch! Is it two dresses of the “same” fabric? In that case you’d at least have one complete dress, right?

The top part makes a really cute polo shirt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7822879390/

And then maybe with the leftover bits of skirt you could put some matching trim (waistband, pocket detail etc) on a solid colour skirt. Make an ensemble rather than a dress…

On a personal note i’d also recommend a good glass of wine and continue to cry for a bit. At least until someone asks why you’re sad and then you realise that in the scheme of things there are bigger troubles….

LINK
    Anonymous @

motherof5, would you do each skirt piece the same length? And would you do the dress fabric as the hem with an alternate fabric above it or do the hem as the alternate fabric? Hope my Qs make sense.

LightningMcStitch, cute name…no, two dresses of entirely different fabric. 🙁

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would be inclined to add a plain/contrast border. Personally, I think that would be a more modern, less ‘patchwork’ version, but it is really up to your preference.

I think I would split the existing skirt piece in half and add the required hem to the bottom.

How vintage is the fabric? I was looking through an Enid Gilchrist Pattern book last night and she had a little floral dress with a white front skirt that was trimmed with rick rack and made to look like a mock pinny.

That was a very sweet 50’s look.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

PS I agree with the wine prescription too.

LINK
    Anonymous @

*sigh* I think I found a decent solid to go with the floral but have to see it in the daylight to be sure the reds work together…but no luck with the brown dress with what I have on hand. I’ll probably have to buy something to coordinate with it. I have been gifted my mothers old quilting cottons from the 1970’s and into the 1980’s and had been using fabric from this stash to make my daughters preschool wardrobe.

LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

Strangely, I no longer had an account when I logged in to reply to this thread again. I’m the OP.

At any rate, I used a solid red fabric to go with the floral dress and it’s turning out nicely. Since I don’t have a brown to match for the other dress, I think I’m going to use what I have and do it as a tunic style top since it’s not long enough to be a dress but I love the fabric as is. Hopefully I will finish them up in the coming days! Thank you for your help, Nicole!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Premmiemomma, your login may have got caught up in the spam clean up Todd mentioned on the spam discussion.

If you made the skirt half the width it could look like a very trendy peplum top.

LINK

Ah-ha, I just read the spam clean up post. That’s exactly what happened since I’m new here. I’m not actually new but this thread was my first time posting. Usually all my questions are already answered elsewhere so I don’t usually end up having to post anything…lol!

LINK

Since I’m new here, I wasn’t sure how to go about posting a photo so my apologies in advance if this doesn’t work.

DSC_0130

If that didn’t work, try this link to see how the dress turned out by adding on a solid band of fabric: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/9540451771_042c2625c4.jpg

LINK

Oh yay, it worked. I haven’t done the buttons yet. Maybe tonight. I’m pleased with how it turned out despite my mistake!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Or you can post it the flicker group and add a link here. I looks lovely!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Oh, please do add this to the flickr group if you haven’t already! And I have to say, I love the way this turned out!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Well done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.