Oliver + S

creativebug workshops: special requests?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey all,

We’re gearing up for some new workshops with creativebug and wanted to ask for your input. Is there anything special you’d like to see? A particular technique, something you’ve never understood and need to see before it’s clear, something you desperately want to make that would work best in video? I’ve got some ideas but want to hear from you. What are you most interested in, and how can we make the creativebug format work best for you?

xo,

Liesl

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Not so much for me, but I’m sure a how to on sewing a zip fly would be popular.:)

Cindy

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Good idea, Cindy! I’ll put that on my list.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes zipper fly would be great! I have lost count of what has been done already so if I am repeating something that has been done, forgive me.

I just thought that maybe something on trims would be good, like how to apply mini piping and rick rack and things like that so that the newer people and those who haven’t tried this technique yet can have a go (not me though I will watch for the sake of it).

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Second zip flies and piping! I’d also love to see how welt pockets with flaps are done. I’m good up to the point where invert the pocket to the inside and stitch it together, it’s getting the flap included that baffles me.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, piping. I find it difficult to place it precisely. I don’t think written instructions cut it here.

I have been looking for pattern drafting workshops, which I suppose the dart manipulation on is. How about sleeves? Sometimes I fancy a different sort of sleeve than came with the pattern. Less puffy or more puffy or just shorter. I’ve noticed that its not always as simple as just lengthening or shortening a sleeve. They are drafted differently.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I would love a demonstration on the different ways to finish seams, both with and without a serger. This could include, amongst other things, getting tension right and when to finish seams before sewing pieces together if overlocking. I still struggle with where to put my zig zag – how close to the edge, how tight a stitch?

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I third the zip fly 😉 I keep hoping you’ll release a pattern with a zip fly so I can just follow your impeccable directions.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A double yoke step by step video would be excellent.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

dubhels2003, I cover seam finishes in one of my Interweave videos, if you’re interested: http://oliverands.com/videos/OLV-OSSCH1.html

And I’ll absolutely cover the zipper fly. I don’t write the zipper fly into our instructions for two reasons: 1) little kids don’t need or want a zipper fly (especially if they need to be able to dress/undress in preschool or for diaper changes and 2) it takes up too much space and doesn’t leave room for other details on the instructions. But it’s an easy, easy change to make, so I’ll make sure we cover this.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Motherof5, by double yoke do you mean like the two thicknesses we did on the Sketchbook Shirt?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes Liesl.

That would be great,I talk a lot of girls through this one but a video would be awesome.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about common women’s fitting problems? I think you did FBA but what about some others? It would be great to see “before” and “after” pictures to help us diagnose which changes we need to make and then instructions on how to make the changes.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

zip fly! Yes.

Sleeve alterations! Yes.

How to assess if a sleeve from this pattern will work with the arm hole of that pattern. How to mix elements of various patterns.

Series on petite adjustments. Same for tall girls, full figured gals, etc.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I am going to do the darts Creative Bug when I feel I have an the right application. The only things that I have sewn with darts are the Puppet Show Tunic and the Fairytale Dress. I want to learn more stuff like that, though.

I think it would be neat if you made a basic pattern like a top with a plain bodice and taught different the modifications that could be made:

1. a pleat in the bodice, or several pleats, or pin tucks

2. a gathered front below the bodice or several pleats in the front or one large single pleat

3. different shaped bodices -curved, straight, a long bodice or short bodice, wide or narrow

4. sleeve adjustments-

A. Length- long, 3/4, short, butterfly ruffle, sleeveless

B. Different bottom of the sleeve finishes- a sleeve with a ruffle (large or small), with cuff and placket, the bottom of the sleeve gathered with bias or gathered with a dart with bias, or elastic on the end or in a casing at the bottom with elastic that forms a ruffle.

5. Different collar finishes- no collar, peter pan, ruffle collar, band collar

6. Different closures- You could also show how to make a placket in the front or a placket in the back. So that if you had a basic pattern with a plain bodice you could decide if it closes in the front or in the back.

7. How to make facings for different necks- round, notched, square, boat, deep, or high

8. Different shaped fronts and backs- A-line or straight, wide or narrow, a curved hem or straight hem

Maybe teach one about bodices, one on fronts and backs, one about sleeves, one about necks and collars.

You could do the same thing with pants:

1. pockets- welt, side, patch, cargo

2. legs- wide, straight or flaired

3. shorts- short, capris, with cuffs

4. front- flat, pleated

5. fly- mock or real

6. yokes

The length of the rise and the height of the waist is something I don’t understand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.