Oliver + S

Close Calls-Re Sewing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I really wanted to finish Hugo’s shirt last night, but I was pretty tired AND he was at footy practice. I did want to fit the sleeves.

So I basted them in and left it.

He got home at 9 pm, but needed a hair cut and an eyebrow wax, then Jed wanted his ‘grooming’ done and it was 10 pm and I was covered in hair and still had ironing and lunches to make.

I left the shirt.

I fitted it this morning and noticed I had basted one sleeve in back to front. I completely missed it last night and I know I would have sewn it, overlocked and then double topstitched it in place.

Close call.

What sewing disasters have you narrowly missed?

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m the world’s worst at flipping right sides on fabric that looks similar! Once on a tiny man shirt I put a collar on completely before I realized that I had sewn two fronts on completely backwards! That unfinished shirt is still hanging around in the sewing closet.

Recently, I put away a picnic blouse made with AMH voile that G had been wearing regularly for Two years! I noticed for the first time that the wrong side was facing out on the back skirt. I guess if I was the one ironing it for two years and just noticed no one else ever did.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I just learned the hard way why trousers never seem to have flat felled seams on BOTH the inner leg seam and the outer leg seam.

Darn if that wasn’t tricky sewing. I gleefully cut my seam allowance and pressed before realising I was going to have to sew bit by bit down the inner tube of a trouser leg.

I do now have the best looking pair of inside out tracksuit pants in the history of the universe! There may have been some bad words said, and it’s possibly I was a bit late for school pick up….

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Just now noticed I have the front of a JumpRope front shirt inside out. Not much I can do about it now.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

MC, I have done that too. Seams trimmed and topstitched grrrrrrr.

Shelley, that is what I have do (of sorts) when I topstitch the Twins jeans. Sometimes I start from the top and then go as far as I can, then sew from the ankle.

Sarvi, it was a design choice ;).

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

🙂 That’s what I’ll tell myself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.