Oliver + S

Child classic jeans pattern?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Do any of y’all know of a well-teaching child jeans pattern? I’m looking for the classic style, with pockets, watch pocket, yoke, zip fly, belt loops. I know of Jalie, but interested in an indie-pattern…

(This topic may exist, but I can’t find a “search” feature when viewing the forums on my cell phone!)

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’d opt for an Ottobre design pattern of you aren’t turned off by tracing and adding seam allowance. They have lots of options in lots of sizes and are well drafted.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Have a look at Titchy Threads patterns. The Small Fry skinny jeans should tick all your boxes.
    I haven’t made them up, but I have made the Twisted Trousers which have pocket with pocket bag coin pocket etc and excellent instructions. I made them in denim and they’ve been great looking jeans.
    Based on that pattern, I’m sure the jeans pattern could be recommended.
    Here’s mine: http://bartacksandsingletrack.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/twisted-tuesday-pattern-tour.html?m=1

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Kwik Sew do a very nice jeans pattern that is easy to adjust due to the pattern layout.

I have had good success adapting the Sketchbook shorts too.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I have made jeans and “jorts” with an Ottobre pattern and they fit like commercial jeans… modern styling and cut, came out well in patterned denim, and upholstery-weight twill.
    In O+s, I have done the Sketchbook shorts with the front pleats eliminated and the front pocket curved (more horizontal than almost parallel to the seam); those are very much like baggy/straight-legged jeans.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

@lightningmcstitch Okay, funny that after I made this post, I came across your blog (in my internet searches) and then subscribed to your blog, for the same post you mentioned. 🙂

@motherof5
    Thanks for the link; I loved seeing the red pants with that black zip! It reminded me that you had once mentioned before that the after-school pants were the “skinniest” of them all

@mcholley1
    @Reeni I’ve never tried an Oottobre pattern before. Do they have instructions, or are you generally on your own?

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Ottobre patterns are confusing sometimes because there are so many on one sheet (you need good light to see the differences!) And they don’t include seam allowance. Instructions are included but no illustrated steps except for details like a zip fly. But they do come out well, with a kind of Euro, H&M kind of feeling, depending on fabric choice. HTH!

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Has anyone made the Small Fry jeans Lightning mentioned upthread? I’m looking for a pattern for my little guy, and I like everything about that one EXCEPT that for every pair I’ve seen sewn, the back yoke looks too tall, making the pockets ride really low. My guy has short legs and a big toddler potbelly, so pants already tend to ride low on him as it is. Is that correctable simply by subtracting some length from the yoke and adding it on to the legs?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hold this thought for the weekend @enbee we’ve got a blog post coming up with lots of inspiration for jeans from Oliver + S patterns!
    My all time favourites were mashing the back half of the After School pattern with the front half of the Field Trip! But there are other great examples.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Thanks, Lightning – I’ve read that post of yours! Very inspirational. However, given the CF I just made of shortening/waistband-adding on the FT cargoes (even if it did work out), I’d probably prefer a straight pattern, as opposed to a mash-up.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Enbee, I’ve made the Small Fry jeans in the size that they offer for free, I believe it’s 2T. I really liked them and was very pleased with how they turned out….they got worn constantly until my son outgrew them. But, as you say, they did have a low-riding pockets look, which I always figured was intentional to go with the normal skinny jean look.

But it should work fine and be a fairly simple matter to remove some length from the yoke and add an equal amount to the top of the jeans back piece.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by bren5kids.
    LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

@bren5kids, thanks! I’ll wait to see the upcoming O+S jeans post, but otherwise will invest in the Small Fry pattern.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@rebecca just to throw things into the mix, have you looked at this one at all? http://violettefieldthreads.com/products/sloane-skinny-jeans-pattern.

Probably not what you are after but thought I would put it out there anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.