Oliver + S

Cannot believe this!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Just had to tell you all about my total surprise and bewildering discovery. I have a half finished Sunday Brunch jacket made in denim that I made about three years ago for my daughter. I made it in a size 8 as she was going through her chubby stage. Well I made her try it on just then (because I had to stop her from complaining about the lack of frilly dresses that were in her cupboard) and surprise surprise! It fits!!

Just slightly overjoyed at the prospect of actually being able to use this pattern at all let alone for just a little while.

Now all I have to do is help her to LIKE the jacket if I make it in pink, purple or red.

My day has now been made!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh just an add on to this – my daughter usually wears a size 12 so that is why this is so good.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Isn’t that like winning the lottery?! I’m ecstatic for you!! Those are the kind of suprsises that only happen once in a blue moon. I had to giggle when you mentioned the list of “acceptable” colors. My daughter for some odd reason loves that list of colors as well, it’s like she’s stuck on a Valentine’s day fix or something.

I suppose these are the experiences we need to remember when we’re fiddling around with something and it’s not working for the 3rd or 4th time. Good for you!!

Rebecca

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

What a wonderful surprise!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I discovered something else also. I managed to get hold of the seemingly very rare Jumprope dress in the larger size and just measured my daughter this morning. According to her measurements matching up to the sizing chart the size 8 SHOULD fit (may be a teensy but short on her though). I WAS planning to do a Jumprope “copy” using the Safari dress pattern in the Trendy Smocking from tots to teens book in order to get the size I was after. But I have decided to wing it and use some fabric from the overflowing stash to try it out in the size 8 from the actual pattern. If it fits, GREAT! It means she gets another Oliver + s dress for another season and I will be working to find out what exactly it is that makes the older patterns fit her in this size as opposed to the newer patterns where I’m forced to go several sizes larger.

If it doesn’t fit, then I will just adjust the Safari dress pattern to make it look like the jumprope dress. It just means more fiddling around.

Here I go, wish me luck!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Perhaps make it in a stretch poplin?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes! stretch something I thought anyway. Fortunately there is some really bland fabric in the cupboard that I will gladly cut up into a sample dress that is stretch poplin. Just doing view b minus pockets just to see how it will fit first then I can progress from there and make a proper one.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well one jumprope dress view b made and ready to wear …. tried it on and it was snug as anything! And I used stretch poplin. I will just have to size it up in order to make any use from this pattern for this child anyhow.

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

gha! bummer, good luck in sizing up!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Shouldn’t be a problem. It will just take a little bit of time that’s all so I will wait until next week when the children are back at school and I don’t have interruptions right when I’m doing measurements etc. I love this pattern and by hook or by crook I intend to get some use out of it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Try view a,my twins still wear that easily.

Their view b is a little snug.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I tried it on her again and I think that if I just take it out a little at the sides it will give her more room – it pulls at the chest under her arms. I don’t see her wearing it for long though. Style a is next.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.