Oliver + S

Buttons on the Forest Path

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Erin78 @Erin78

Just made my first Forest Path for my oldest daughter and had a question. The pattern went together like clockwork (as usual), but I was wondering if some of you sewed your buttons on before sewing the lining to the cape or if you just sew them on at the end as I did. I used shank buttons, so they would’ve propped the lining up so I decided not to sew them on before I added the lining. I am weird and kind of don’t want my button thread to show on the cape, so I thought I’d ask to see what others have done. If the only way to sew the buttons is to sew them on at the end, that’s fine. Maybe someone could direct me in the most clean way to sew buttons in.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made the cape Erin but I would have thought you could carefully sew the button to the lining fabric and not catch the outer fabric by gently pulling the two layers apart.

The only thing would be the risk of it tearing the lining if it is not sewn through several layers?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I sewed through both layers of fabric. You can’t really tell. Double your thread and bury the ends in between the two layers of fabric. It’s going to look great!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’d say do as Robin suggested and catch at least a little bit of the cape fabric as you sew them on. I didn’t with my grown up version, and, as Nicole predicted, the lining has torn a little around the buttons (assuming you’re using a slippy type lining). it’s almost scary how she knows this stuff! 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Aw, Shelley, you make me blush.

I had a jacket that the button tore through the lining.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, I would definitely recommend sewing the buttons through all the layers. It doesn’t show that much and is much more secure. Plus, you want the outside fabric to be pulled under the arm when it’s buttoned.

LINK
    mc868 @mc868

I am just finishing up a Woodland Stroll cape for myself and had the same thought as Erin78 – I didn’t want my knot to show on the back of my cape! After reading these comments, my solution was to sew the button through all layers, but I started by putting my thread through the lining side so my knot would be hidden underneath the button. I very carefully sewed the button on and kept the stitches nice and even on the back. Then I knotted my thread underneath the button. It looks great from the outside and the button is very secure!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.