Oliver + S

any tips for working with Liberty Tana Lawn fabric?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Aviatrix51 @Aviatrix51

I just got a meter of Tana Lawn cotton and I can’t get over how silky and fine this cotton is.

Does anyone have any tips or hints about working with it? Should I machine pre-wash and dry it?

It’s so nice that I don’t want to ruin it.

Thanks,

Kate

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

Isn’t it gorgeous? I have a whole stash from a trip to London when I was pregnant with my firstborn, and it took me almost 7 years to cut into it!

I don’t know what the “right” answer is, but I pre-wash and tumble dry before cutting; use good quality cotton thread like mettler or aurifil; use lots of pins when sewing because it’s slickery stuff; and machine-wash delicate, tumble dry low for the finished garment. Because it’s such a fine weave, I think a french seam finish is especially gorgeous, but I’ve also serged seam allowances together and it’s turned out just fine.

I will add that the dresses and skirts I’ve made with Liberty of London lawn are especially sheer, and would probably have turned out better if lined or underlined with cotton batiste.

Hope this encourages you to cut in!

Meg

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Kate, isn’t Liberty amazing stuff? With regard to care, I usually try to avoid putting anything I sew into the dryer because I think it’s really hard on fabric. So I pre-wash fabrics and line dry them, and the I care for the finished garments/items in the same manner. That’s the important part: don’t put it in the dryer if you didn’t put the fabric in the dryer BEFORE you cut and sewed it or it may shrink.

I made a little top for S with Liberty fabric about six months ago (it will be showing up as a pattern in next spring’s collection–just to tease a bit), and she’s worn it constantly. It still looks amazing; their fabrics are excellent quality and very durable. You should get years of wear out of it. Which means that if you want to dry the fabric, go for it. Just be sure to pre-wash and dry in the same manner that you will care for the finished garment and you’ll be fine.

Have fun!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.