Oliver + S

Adding a lining

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Erin @erechler

I’m relatively new to sewing and most of the projects I have worked on so far have not required a lining. However, for the Cappuccino top I bought a very pretty flower pattern on voile. Its a little sheer and I think a liner may be in order. Is there a tutorial or another pattern that explains how to add a lining?

TIA!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I haven’t tried adding a lining to this pattern, buy maybe someone else will chime in who has?

LINK
    Christine Berling @christine8908

Well, I haven’t done it yet, but I have studied the pattern and fabrics. I am going to try an underlining technique. Two weeks ago when I was in Boston, I stopped in this lovely little fabric shop, Mercer’s Fabrics, and bought a beautiful light, semi-sheer cotton lawn and contrasting fabric. I found a solid cotton lawn in the same collection that I believe will work well as an underlining. Right now, I’m busy finishing my Soho shorts (they’re so incredibly cute), then I will do the dress. As I felt the fabrics and tested the drape, they seemed to work well together. What do you think, Liesl?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sure, provided that the two fabric work together. I’d be concerned that it would add weight to this top, and I’d probably be personally more inclined to wear a camisole under it than add a lining, but that’s probably a personal preference. Let us know how it turns out!

LINK

The underlining worked great for the dress, and it minimized wrinkling. My fabric for both was 100% cotton voile by art gallery fabrics. Since this is a dress, the fabric is too light for me to consider wearing a slip underneath. I would feel like I was wearing a handkerchief! But that is me. I like the weight of the two voiles together. I posted earlier that it was cotton lawn; not sure what I was thinking at the time. If this were a tunic, I would consider a camisole or underlining, completely dependent upon the fabric and how I wanted it to look. So, Tia, I would say it is really dependent upon your fabric, your level of comfort, and what you envision. Study the design, look at your fabric. I did a FBA and it worked fine great. Very pleased with this dress. Will get a lot of wear during our hot summer.

LINK

Sorry, I mean Erin, not Tia. LOL, thanks in advance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.