Oliver + S

2014 Sewing Goals and Resolutions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

In 2013, I learned the FBA, welt pockets, rough edge applique and sewing a lined dress. I also learned simple drafting of the A-Line skirt pattern via craftsy. I heart that course.

My goal for 2014 is to conquer the men’s/boy’s button down shirt. Do some pattern busting. I also want to learn to sew for the non standard body I have. I am asking for a few patterns for Christmas.

I also want to trek into NYC (only an 8 hour drive/ 30 min-1 hour flight) for a weekend and do some fabric shopping! Unless anyone can recommend great fabric shops in the Southern Ontario/Toronto area. That is just across the border.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Whee! I’m going in February, I think, for work. Not sure how much time that will leave for fun, but I do hope to try the mysterious button shop Liesl mentioned once.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am going to add to my list to sew at least one this from every pattern I have bought, and there is lots for me too besides the kids!

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Cybele727…I was thinking about shuffling off to Buffalo one weekend to shop the fabric stores there! In Toronto, many of the really good fabric stores have closed down. A week or so ago I was shopping along Queen St. West (The Fashion District) between Spadina and Portland and there are still a few good ones remaining but the prices weren’t all that terrific. Some of the shop owners will haggle though. Len’s Mills outlets (from Niagara to Hamilton) are popular and prices on the low end. If I had a choice between T.O. and NYC for fabric shopping, I’d take the latter in a heartbeat.

~Deb~

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

So sad to hear about the demise of the Toronto shops! I used to spend quite a bit of time/money there. In fact, I still have some very high quality sweatshirt fleece that I need to put to good use that I bought from a very nice little old man in a Toronto shop…..I can 2nd Len’s Mill Outlets – I used to go to the one in Guelph – it was very nice. There were some smaller, nice shops in Hamilton back in the day too….

My resolution is to sew down my personal stash, and again, make the patterns that I haven’t cracked yet! Still want to make a quilt, which was my resolution from last year…hmmmm…..

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You’d be fantastic at quiltmaking, I bet. You should come up for the LA quilt guild meeting when Liesl comes!

LINK
    Inder @Inder

I don’t usually do resolutions, but in general, I am always trying to pattern-bust, stash-bust, and challenge myself with new skills! This year, I think I want to finally figure out how to do a zip fly, so that I can keep up with sewing for my almost 5 year old boy. I also want to continue to learn to sew for myself. And maybe finally make something with that gorgeous liberty I’ve been hoarding? 🙂

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m going to spend more time mastering the FBA and fitting for myself. I think that’s the next hurdle for me. Well, consistent looking buttonholes are another one, but I will blame the machine and not myself for that. : )

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I need to keep up with my mending. That pile keeps on a-growing.

I would like to finish each project as nicely as I can. I have already failed with my first project of the season.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I think I have finally worked out my goals for the year. I couldn’t think about them before Christmas my brain was way too full! 🙂

1. Sew from my stash

Make do! Even if I could go and buy is there something that will work?

2. Add to my stash!

Knits, bottom weight fabric and basic poplin weight.

Mainly from op shops (thrift stores)

3. Learn/improve my free motion quilting

4. Finish the pieced quilts!

5. Have gifts finished before the deadline or event!

6. Sew more for myself

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Exactly what Inder said! (except for the Liberty hoarding. maybe I need to go shopping….)

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Heidi! Craftsy are having lots of classes on sale right now that will help improve the fmq-ing. Highly recommended.

I have to add – learn to use scraps to my list.

And have a monthly review of my goals to stay on track.

Plus try pattern busting regardless of if they fit my kids or not.

Build more apparel friendly fabrics into the stash.

Sew more knits

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thanks Tamara for the heads up on the Craftsy class! I think I need to practice!

LINK
    Ock Du Spock @Ock Du Spock

Oh I love reading what you are all planning for the year!! Can’t wait to see it all happen 🙂 I’m just hoping to sew a few more things this year and hopefully be a bit better at documenting what I make… Here’s to a productive 2014!

LINK
    Kirstylilian @Kirstylilian

I made a deal with hubby that I’d work through my stash and not buy any more fabric this year….however it’s my 30th birthday on Sunday and we’re having the weekend in London shopping in Hamley’s and Liberty’s….I think my resolution will have to begin after my birthday…!! I’ve also planned to make one thing a week!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.