Site icon Oliver + S

1950s Fair outfit

Each year we go to the 50s Fair at Rose Seidler House in Sydney. Last year we won the family section in the fashion parade, so it's worth putting in the effort. I enjoy making the outfits, and we have a great weekend away.

This year we are doing a "Family Day out at the Country Races" theme. I am going to make this for Audrey https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/163621067/1950s-girls-party-dress-jumper-pattern?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=1950s+girls+dress+size+3&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery The underdress will be white dotted swiss, and the overdress in black velvet.

Josephine will be wearing a white knitted set and be in the vintage style pram. Chris I am hoping to put in black pleat front trousers and a white shirt with the sleeves folded up, with either button on braces, or a waistcoat, and a panama hat. Binoculars as an accessory.

My outfit is the challenge. I have a pale gold taffeta dress with black flock polka dots, that has a halter neck and circular skirt, that I used to wear dancing, I made a matching jacket for it, and wore it to Oaks Day a few years ago. I also have a second slightly smaller dress with a stain on the skirt from the same fabric. I thought this dress would be good because with the halter neck I can breastfeed fairly easily. Unfortunately, I tried on the dress and jacket last night and my post baby body is FAR from being able to fit into it. I have about 10cm in between the sides of the zip, and a similar gap at the front of the jacket.

I am thinking I can make a new bodice from leftover fabric, and skirt from the second dress, but I'm after suggestions for a bodice that is bra friendly, and looks suitable for the 1950s races. With a full circle skirt to play with, I have enough fabric to do most things. I can either wear the jacket as is (but take off the frog closure), or get a black cardigan to wear instead.

Suggestions please :-)

Exit mobile version