Oliver + S

zipper in the dress?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    corlee @corlee

has anyone inserted a zipper in the bubble dress? i’m worried about the gap at the top of the skirt. if anyone has any tips on how to do this, i’d be grateful! i should also preface this by saying i’ve never inserted a zipper in anything other than a simple pouch before so if i should just step away from the zipper-y ledge, please let me know. 🙂

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Step away- Step Away! Life is worth living! (Teasing.)

The bodice has an overlap between the two sides, so you would have to eliminate the overlap in the pattern, add a seam allowance, and then insert the zipper. The skirt portion would be simple, the bodice, more complicated.

Can I ask what your goal was for eliminating the buttons? Easier to dress without help?

LINK
    corlee @corlee

haha! i’m friends with my seam ripper but don’t want to, i don’t know, jam it in my knees because of a zipper frustration. nor do i want to give it a BFF necklace…

i’m wondering about the gap in the skirt portion. i’ve seen some photos of the dress where the wearer either 1) already has a small portion of her back exposed just standing there or 2) the wearer has a small portion of her back exposed when she is moving (e.g. squatting down) because the skirt gapes open. even if the bodice does overlap, i’m afraid that there will be a gap when the child is moving. (and my daughter does not stop moving ever except when sleeping. and even then, i doubt it.)

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Regarding the gap…

I’ve made this dress twice now (still too cold to try it on my model) and the first time i thought I was following the instructions, and I ended up with the awful looking gap. I went back, rethought about the instructions and redid the placket-y bit and it came out fine. Second time around I remembered how to interpret that step and no seam ripping required!

I suspect (without wanting to dis’ anyone else’s work – we’re all amazing) that the gap is a bit of a mistake.

If I had one cut out and ready to go I could take some pictures to illustrate how to “mind the gap”, but it is freezing here at present, so this pattern is bottom of the pile.

Here’s the only picture I’ve got http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/6985316228/in/set-72157629575439322 of a back view. (sorry, I’m not amazing enough to have worked out how to do links with this forum – edit that, it worked!) The trim is a bit thick and hides the edge that we’re talking about, but the untrimmed one that i did worked beautifully.

Don’t know how it’ll work when worn, but I doubt it’ll open up too much.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’ve made it twice, and I’ve not ended up with a gap. Here’s a back view of one- http://flic.kr/p/adiVUb, and the other- http://flic.kr/p/ackX5r

My daughter is in constant motion, even in her sleep. She’s better known around our house as Thing One or the Creative Menace.

If you’re really worried about it- I would shorten the opening on the skirt, or make some thread chains and some small buttons to hold it closed.

What size are you making?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Same here. I’ve made the dress several times in a couple different sizes with no gap issues. Here are a couple: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/6278267592/in/set-72157623005279313/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/6990980337/in/photostream

Where did you have a gap? At the back bodice pieces?

LINK
    Jenny @Jenny

I would love to request a tutorial from sayiamyou on making reversible versions of O&S garments!

LINK
    corlee @corlee

thanks, everyone! i’m going to go ahead and make this with the buttons and see how it goes. i’m making one as a practice for now and then making 3 flower girl dresses (size 4s and one size 2) for my brother’s wedding!

the more i thought about a zipper, the more i’m wondering if it would be too difficult for someone at my skill level anyhow, what with the lining and the outer fabric and trying to sandwich the zipper. (do you even sandwich a zipper? was that a complete novice question? out of my league.)

@jenny: i found this on april1930s blog for a reversible bubble: http://stitcheryfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/oliver-s-bubble-dress-placket-tutorial.html

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

My issue with zippers on a dress like this is that they don’t allow the dress to move with the body as much as buttons. A close-fitting dress is a different matter and can often benefit from a zipper, but a looser-fitting dress like this tends not to hang as nicely on small bodies when there is a zipper involved.

Yes, the lower back edges should kiss when buttoned. No gap.

One of the upcoming fall patterns involves a zipper and a lining, so if you want to wait and look at how that one is done it might help with converting this pattern. My personal preference on this dress is certainly buttons, however. It’s more classic and comfortable, I think.

LINK
    corlee @corlee

hmm… didn’t even think to consider the impact on movement. it makes sense though given the stiffness that a zipper has. learn something new everyday! thank you, liesl.

and yes, i would love to learn how to incorporate a zipper and a lining, so color me excited to see the new fall line!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Jenny, I appreciate the compliment, but I cannot take full credit. I had the idea then searched around for the means to make it happen. I’d used April’s tute the first time I put together the swing set, so I checked her blog again. Sure enough! Read through the link to April’s tute; it’s a good one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.