Oliver + S

Would you resize the LTTS back pack up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

My son needs a new back pack and as a present for his birthday I told I would make him a new one out of some wetland camo I have at the house. I was going to make the messenger bag but I was thinking last night could I resize the backpack up to fit an older child? I could add a second zipper pocket on the outside as well but I am not sure how it would look? How big should I size it up, What do ladies think?

~Sharon~

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would probably increase the width of the straps probably similar to the width of the large messenger bag and maybe add some padding for comfort given how much more he will be able to shove in there.

I love the messenger bag, and have made ones for adults.

Have you asked him which style he prefers? As I think a messenger Camo bag will socially last a long time where as I think a backpack may have a more limited lifespan before it gets replaced in his mind by something else in a few years. And what type of bag do dad and grandad have? Just my thoughts and opinions, he may use a backpack for years to come or he may use it so much that years to come won’t matter. 🙂

LINK
    JWo @JWo

Sharon,

I used the backpack pattern recently and had no trouble adding an extra pocket to the front. Admittedly, I used the pattern to make a ‘cow’ backpack and not a more grown-up version that would appeal to a school-aged child! However, I think you could easily lengthen the body of the backpack and add a more functional zipped pocket to the front. I looked at some of the backpacks I had at home to get an idea about construction etc and copied some of those features when I made mine e.g. Padded straps, nylon webbing, black plastic strap adjusters, single inner pocket etc. I really think this is a great pattern that can easily be modified.

Didn’t Liesl suggest on one of her blog posts that she had used the pattern to make her own backpack?? That would suggest the pattern works for adults too (and bigger kids).

Good luck

Jen

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I improvised a larger bag for my four-year-old. It needed to carry a folder and lunch bag. I sketched out the size I wanted, and used the instructions to guide my sewing. It got a bit fiddly when I attached the lining to the zipper, but it looks good.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This is unscientific, but I’d size it up by measuring the width of his back, and then from his shoulders to the small of his back and go from there to just eyeball it. Heidi’s comment made me think of this: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/cool_story/2013/10/two_straps_on_a_backpack_or_one_strap_what_s_cool.html

Messenger bags were cooler when I was a teen but that has changed, it seems. I’d peek at what the kids 2-3 grades above are using, that is probably what will seem desirable. The only other significant thing I’d change is the place where the tops of the straps attach — I think attaching at the top instead of the bottom edge of the pattern piece called for in the instructions would give better weight distribution for an older/bigger kid carrying stuff beyond teddies and snacks.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am pretty sure Cindy from http://siestasandsewing.blogspot.com did this.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Here is Cindy’s post about resizing the backpack: http://siestasandsewing.blogspot.com/2011/09/mr-penguin-is-ready.html

LINK

Thanks everyone! I have my sketch drawn out and I am starting it this weekend, I am going to be adding a few extra pockets to his and I think it should come out juts fine. (I hope!) He really needs a book bag and this is his birthday present, late.

~Sharon~

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

@mama_knowles – Sharon, did you ever do this? How did it work out? Advice if you did it?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Apologies for jumping in, but I did this myself somewhat recently and after agonizing over it quite a bit I realized I was making something very simple unnecessarily complicated. I took her school folders and set them on a piece of freezer paper and drew a rectangle with rounded corners around them, eyeballing a bit extra room. I made the side/bottom pieces wide enough to fit her books and long enough to go around. I left the zipper bits the same. Stuck some extra pockets inside. Did add extra padding to the straps, plus, by request, a chest strap with a parachute buckle. Worked out great.

LINK

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been under the weather this week. (My kids were ever so lovely to share with me) I used Cindy’s as guild that she has on her blog and I know I have this posted on McStitches blog as well but can’t seem to find it. I do remember that I added about 4″ to width and height and made the sides longer to fit. Also I did not but wished I had of added fusible fleece to the main fabric and a light weight interfacing for the lignin fabric. It will make it more sturdy. That being said he still his and uses it.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch
    LINK

thank you McStitch!!

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Ok, thanks everyone! I may go the @sarvi route and kind of wing it a bit – I love the added pockets that Sharon did. School starts in 3 weeks….need to get cracking!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I would suggest a really easy route for this. If you want to enlarge it, be sure the seam allowances are drawn into the pattern piece. Then enlarge all the pieces the same percentage and draw new cut lines from the seam lines. That way everything will be enlarged so it all still fits together, but since the seam allowances will also increase you just need to trim them down to a standard size. Does that make sense?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.