Oliver + S

Would this pattern be appropriate for a black formal?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

My daughter needs a floor length black formal dress for orchestra. I am trying to save money by making her one. Could this pattern be altered to make her a black satin floor length dress? She wants to look similar to many of the other girls who will be wearing this dress: http://www.concertattire.com/product_p/118.htm I think I could just lengthen it, eliminate the belt and belt loops and collar and make it a scoop neckline. Then I would have this pattern and be able to make myself a dress too!!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Audrey

I can’t see why the Bistro dress couldn’t be lengthened. I suggest making a muslin first to see how it would go.

As an alternative, and if you have the pattern, you could also use the attache dress. This may achieve more of a flowing look to the skirt (as per you linked photo).

Either pattern would be perfect. What is the time length you’ve been given for this project?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m concerned that a floor length Bistro dress wouldn’t give her enough room to walk/play. You couldn’t simply lengthen it, you would have to alter the shape of the skirt by slashing and spreading it. I agree that the attache dress would be more appropriate for concert wear. It’s also extremely easy to fit and sew because of the princess seams. You might also consider the cinema dress.

My mom and I used to make lots of concert dresses for me for orchestra too. Back in the early 90s it was impossible to find teenaged sized clothes in all black! To this day, my favorite thing I ever sewed was a floor length black skirt for concerts. I lengthened it myself – which then seemed like such creative altering! lol. I always felt like a grown up pro in that skirt. I wish I still had it.

LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

I knew I came to the right place! Unfortunately I only have until Saturday evening, so I need a PDF pattern. The Attache dress would be perfect though! I’ll try the Bistro and see how it goes. It does need to be wide enough for her to play the cello.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I would do a muslin like stated above just so that you can get the fit and the skirt correct. You certainly don’t want the skirt to be tight all the way down. There is a way to slash and spread without altering the waist – cut up to but not through the seam allowance, but I am trusting you know this already.

Good luck and please show us the end result. It’ll be fun to see.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

If time is of the essence, I would consider the cinema dress. You won’t have to draft significant alterations and the princess seams allow you to fit it right on the body and get away with skipping the muslin. I don’t see why you couldn’t substitute a zipper for the buttons, would would be quicker too. You could also skip the pockets. It has the right shape and adding length would be easy.

LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

I showed her the Cinema Dress, but she specifically didn’t want the waistband seam/line and so we went with the Bistro which she also liked the more fitted look of.

LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

So now I’ve been sewing the Bistro, and have a little concern. My daughter has gone to bed, so this may be unnecessary worry once she tries it on, but there seems to be a little point at the bust end of the bust darts…right an awkward spot! I know it’s not the fault of the pattern, it’s my mistake, but can anyone help me with this?

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Hey don’t panic just yet. Do try it on first and then evaluate. It may be fine.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

How did it look on?

LINK
    Audrey @skirtfixation

It worked! And it was so beautiful!! You can see photos here: http://skirtfixation.com/2014/12/bistro-dress-liesl-co/
    Thanks everyone for your help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.