Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,956 through 5,970 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I made a muslin of the Alabama Chanin corset top. After all my flat pattern adjustments, grading over pretty much all the sizes and adding 3.5″ of length between bust and armhole. I am very impressed with the fit and look. I had to take the neckline by 1″, 1/2″ over 2 seams. And the armholes by 1/2″ at the princess seams. I need to finish the binding but the reminding try on looked good. Now I need some “good” fabric. I suspect the muslin will get worn as an extra under layer this winter as it is cold! Snow yesterday!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have finished a pair of black “boyfriend” style jeans for my eldest and the pair of skinnies are stillin the process of being completed. She wanted them “to look professional”🙄 So when I showed them to her she’s decided they are better than professional now! I should jolly well hope so!

I am planning to cut and sew a pair of jeans for myself and finish the others off at the same time ….. Provided my 18 month old succumbs to her afternoon nap.

LINK

Of course they look professional!
    I’m sewing another Pettiskirt. I haven’t sewn one for a while but I had the impulse to so I am 🙂 Not sure if I’ll give it to the recipient when finished or put it away until her birthday in December.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

And they do for sure @withloveheidi only they were a tad shorter than I had anticipated and I didn’t like how the front fly turned out – there isn’t adequate allowance and it looked it. So I have added a 1/2 inch to the wearer’s right side for the next pair so that there is little chance of the zipper becoming exposed again.

I went to continue and to hopefully complete the pair I am making for myself this morning. Unfortunately I have run out of the thread I am using for the topstitching and I cannot find the spare navy thread anywhere!

I went into town to purchase more but came straight home again because I left my purse behind resulting in a wasted hour of travel😩. I am now waiting for Chloë to wake from her nap so that I can attempt a round two trip and this time take the money with me!

I was hoping to complete them to wear tomorrow as I have had enough of the rtw pairs I am living in currently. They are not suitable to be worn in public really.

I am planning a second pair and then I will turn my attention to some nice tailored shirts for myself.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sewing is slow around here – my version of hibernation I think. I finally finished my jeans and they are much much better than those daggy rtw jeans which are now demoted to farm only. I also finished the jeans for Imogen. I had to add a zipper at the ankles due to my over eager skinny jeans alteration. I’m pleased with the result and I had a few beaut comments on insta about it so now I just await the review from the teen. She’s generally easy to please provided to pass it by her before proceeding and I didn’t go against the grain on that.

I bought some pdf Style Arc patterns today, with a view of trying them out and getting Spring ready. I was a bit disappointed to discover I had to print individual sizes. But I bought the patterns thinking they were nested – oh dear. Looks like I am in for some serious alteration sessions. I cannot print them off because dh failed to inform me of the printer paper supply situation being quite dire. So I have to wait until tomorrow.

Which is quite ok because it means that I can spend my sewing time working on the shirt pattern I want to use.

Is anyone else sewing? Or are you enjoying the pleasant weather instead?

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’m working on a music class blouse for my 9yo. I didn’t realize when I started – I was thinking about semi-formal recitals – but she’ll be wearing it to my dad’s memorial service at the end of August. It’s a celebration of life, so florals are fine. So now I’m trying to figure out what my 15yo will wear. Probably something off-the-rack, but I could theoretically make her a dress. She doesn’t have any church-wear or dresses at all right now.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad @ellenmcm. The music class blouse would be perfect and may I suggest the Bistro dress for your 15 year old. It is beautiful to sew and lovely on. I made one for my 13 year old last year when she had her interview with the principal at her new school. Sadly it doesnt fit her anymore as they tend to grow fast!

Will she go for this style do you think?

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I don’t know if she would go for the bistro, but I might!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Perhaps one of the Lisette fit and flare styles then @ellenmcm? The Bistro is the perfect dress for such occasions.

I should be sewing the afterschool pants for the baby girl that I’ve had sitting there for a while but I have been interrupted so much with “my” turn that I’m dawdling with everything else.

I decided to take the plunge and try some style arc patterns. I had to order the shirt pattern I really like but I purchased others as pdf’s from the etsy shop. I am trying to find a jeans pattern for non stretch that doesn’t do the saggy bum thing☹️. My bootstrap vados are very comfy but they sag out in the rear end fast. Maybe non stretch would be better?

Anyway, my big hang up is that some companies (yes I mean you kwiksew) seem to think you can sew a nice inside of a tailored shirt with only a 1/4 inch seam😱 I spent ages yesterday extending said pattern seam allowances to 5/8″ just so I could do some nice finishing. After all that I lost interest and printed the stylearc Italia shirt dress pattern off instead. Has nice details but the placket?? What is with that? And again we want a decent seam allowance. 1cm just won’t cut it I’m afraid.

I am not a fan of the one size only – lots of altering has to happen and I like most people am not a straight size. I am however a fan of their beautiful very fashionable styles.

So I’m going to sit and decide which to work with first, the kwiksew shirt or the Style Arc Italia shirt dress shortened to be a shirt – I love the front detail on this one but don’t love the facings.

Can’t win them all I suppose.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

For the first time in months I have been sewing! I finished up the smocked Garden Party Dress and two of the Sketchbook shirts I promised my youngest son at the beginning of the summer. Pictures to come as soon as the rain let’s up.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The garden party dress is gorgeous @mama_knowles as is the sketchbook shirt on C! Fun colours on him too!

I have only just received notification that my emailed entry form to this year’s show was accepted after all! I have about three weeks to get everything sorted – eek! This year they have a design challenge section – tailored shirt – yay! Have just the thing.

The downside is that I haven’t sewn for the show for a few years and so the sections I entered are now not available! Including the baby/ childrenswear and the christening/ naming day gown section for which I took out the best of show ribbons! Shocked!

Upside is the theme this year is sheep! Oh I know that one. Another downside, if you enter two pieced outfits you have to nominate which “half” you want judged! We’ll be seeing alot of dresses!

So I am still making the ever detailed and delightful fairytale dress in Tanya Whelan print to enter in the local show next weekend. And Chloë can have this as her “royal show” dress this year.

I better get cracking!

LINK

“Chloe’s” dress sounds like it will be lovely 🙂
    I’ve retraced the tea party sundress in 6-12m with 1/4 seam allowances so I can make an Alabama Chanin dress with the symbol of the Rebel Alliance (Star Wars) on the skirt. I removed the seam allowances from the neckline so I can bind the neckline.
    I’ve been slowly working my way through a Alabama Chanin style t-shirt quilt. I’m embellishing each seam. Slow going but very enjoyable. I’m finding it very therapeutic and calming since I’ve been under the weather this month and haven’t been able/wanted to sew by machine.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I can’t wait to make it @with love Heidi. It’s a quarter to midnight, the latest I’ve stayed up to sew in ever so long. I have just finished a pair of stylearc Jilly jeans – the best pattern for jeans I’ve made for me so far. I will be using this pattern again for sure. But not right now as I am in need of sleep!

The next project will be for the show.

LINK

I’ve just finished my Star Wars Alabama Chanin style Tea Party Sundress. It has been a very relaxing project to do while I recovered from surgery. Lots of resting on the couch enabled me to finish it in 7 days! This was a bit of a shock when I realised how fast I made it. I’m back working on my Alabama Chanin style quilt but looking forward to another baby clothes version for another friend.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Looks amazingly cute @with love Heidi.

I bought fabric to make my “day outfit” for the royal and came home to realise that I think I am short by a metre! Oh well I will have to go back in on Tuesday when I’m there next to claim that extra metre. And I will double check the amount of fabric for the other dress I want to use the same pattern for.

This week the plan is to sew up the Fairy tale dress which will not be entered in tomorrow’s local show – that’s what travelling long distances does to sewing time! And also to get a tailored shirt sorted out (and hopefully another pair of less stretchy jeans) we shall see.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,956 through 5,970 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.