Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,926 through 5,940 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Dear Jen,
    so sorry that life is such hard work at present but I think you’ve chosen a great pattern to restore your mojo. I want to try the multipanel Swing Skirt even the weather here is too chilly, really. Just for the fun of putting some ‘half-yard’ pieces together to make a pretty combo. Amazing to think that your little girl is 6 and 1/2, already.

Tamara, how are Spotlight ‘marketing’ the wool/denim? What should I look out for? I found a fabric at Lincraft – in the corduroy section. Named “assorted”, it was very soft – a cross between cord, and velveteen. Very interesting, and potentially useful for some Art Museum pants for bigger boys. Finished the two dark brown cord pants- one a sketchbook shorts (size 7) that really did look very smart, and a size 5 pair of Sandbox pants with the Kokka car fabric that I’ve used before to make the waistband, and pockets. I was a little nervous about it when I was sewing- I was afraid it might look a little ‘nerdy’; so relieved to hear that Mr 4, and his mother are very happy. Right now, making two pairs of bright orange pinwale cord Sandbox-es. One 6-12mths for Mr C, and a size 3 for Miss I. Adelaide’s weather has become cold ‘overnight’, and my littles need warmth!! BTW, Jenny, I’m quite sure that some other countries are concerned about Mr Trump’s ‘progress’. Luckily, your Constitution, like Australia’s has many ‘checks and balances’ built in; may not prevent Mr T’s election but the “two house” system will minimise political/global damage. When all else fails, put on some of your very favourite music – VERY LOUD. I find that to be a great cheer-upper.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Basically there was no marketing per se. I was looking for a heavier weight denim to make my jeans because the stuff was just a bit light and I found two bolts of denim/elastine/wool in the pile of denims. We get a lot of the printed and pintucked stuff and not alot of the stuff that you’d want to make jeans out of. So because I had never seen them at our local Spottie before I thought this must be the stuff Nicole was on about so have bought 3m of each and will have a crack at making something from them – most likely for me because I ended up buying clothes for the boy I am that time strapped right now. At least then I can say that the rtw, even though are too skinny in the leg for his liking and “mum these have been ripped😱😱😱” “they are trendy trust me” I can find out what his likes/dislikes for the current trends are. I have never heard of “carrot tapered jeans” but I fully intend on copying and altering my pattern to more of his liking (probably minus the rips because he was pretty horrified).

That is not for now though, because I am still chugging along on these jackets. I have to at least finish the Archer before bedtime Wednesday and I really want to make myself some things. Couple that with finally getting back seeding again (workman sick with pneumonia, dry turning to a nice drop of rain, sick with flu hubby amongst other non sewing related shouldn’t talk about it things), we are all go in different directions – oh I forgot to mention the daily cyclonic conditions of the toddler added in there.

I am really looking forward to the long weekend where we can have family down time (minus one hubby) and maybe I will be sort of up to date enough to come home and start something new?? I have just ordered some stretch denim from Fabric.com so this jeans things is really really going to happen big time. Plus I have had multiple requests for skinny jeans in the black coated denim I bought (thanks @motherof5 for providing the link on a recent jeans blogpost). I am going to try (being the optimum word) to get some sort of muslin sorted over the long weekend in order to get them made and sent down to her when we return home. She has a black and white social coming up and wants something fun for that. So I guess my denim can take its time in getting here because I will be teen sewing (again).

So, today is getting on with the jackets and (hopefully) getting as much complete as possible. Then its the Archer and then it’s MY TURN!!!! Oh I might squeeze another afterschool jeans in there somewhere too.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

The attachments below are of the ‘contrasting’ car fabric used for the pockets (front and back), and the waistband on size 5 Sandbox. Be interested in any/all opinions. The dark brown cord doesn’t photograph well so I didn’t bother with Flickr, or photographing the Sketchbook shorts. The bright orange pants-two pairs- are about halfway done. Thanks for info about the denim, T.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Love the accent fabric @needlewoman.

I spent the afternoon handstitching and both jeans jackets are almost complete😀. I now have to go and hammer seams flat, topstitch, do buttonholes and the more handstitching – the buttons. Fingers crossed I get to do this all tonight.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I finished my turn on the #sewingrota on a high with some gorgeous back jeans for me!
    Three pairs of jeans, a denim shirt and four tee’s were a much needed injection of clothing in my wardrobe.

Now I am on to formal sewing, Zara’s first. Some gorgeous Gatsby inspired sequinned tulle.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oooh that sounds lovely Nicole @motherof5!

I just finished a denim jacket each for my two girls. We’re all thrilled (yes even the baby!)

I am just finishing some black jeans for myself – waistband topstitching and hems to go.

I took a basket of half mades to Perth with me and didn’t get much done so I am catching up.

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

Once I get the fountain repainted and assembled today, I’m hoping to head upstairs to the studio and work on a pair of white cigarette pants (for me), a white pair of highwaisted shorts (for me), and if I finish both of those items up, I plan to start tracing a pair of 1950’s patterns that are mother-daughter in design. The fair is a 2 weeks away, and I really need to round up the past year’s work to show, and get some baking done for the fresh foods competition.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@jennigirl sounds like great projects. You will be busy for the fair. I know I have to think out what my entries will be this year but I have a bit of time as entries for our Ag show don’t close until July and the show itself isn’t until late September. I might make another Bistro dress for the women’s section and am undecided about the children’s wear.

Yesterday I made a pair of lunch box culottes in pink pinwale corduroy. Apart from the elastic needing tightening, they are just so cute! I have a lunchbox top as a sweatshirt to hem and she can wear both items on the school run this morning.

LINK
    Harmony @Harmony

Right now I’m working on a pair of Field Trip cargo shorts in pink sprinkle quilting cotton for the younger one. I was a little apprehensive about the number of pieces in the pattern, but it’s coming together very quickly.

I just finished up a skort for the older one that (drum roll, please) did not have the word easy on the front of the pattern!

Seriously, you guys. 🙂 Two years ago I couldn’t make ruffles, now I made an article of clothing that does not have any elastic in the waist at all.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Way to go @harmony it’s a nice feeling, knowing you’re learning and improving with every garment.
    I just cut the welts open on the jacket I’m making. Doesn’t matter how many times I sew a welt, the moment when you slash them open is nerve wracking.
    Add in that this is the most expensive fabric I’ve ever bought and it’s taken a week to get the jacket assembled to the point of pockets and I was almost wondering if I shouldn’t just leave them off!
    They’re cut. I’ll finish them off tomorrow.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What is a ‘lounge set’ for children? I am supposed to make one by Friday, but not sure I have ever seen a 6 year old lounge.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

😅 if ever there’s a six year old who could “lounge” it’s yours Sarvi!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh @Sarvi you have brightened my day and my migraine is almost gone! I’m afraid I have no clue🙁 Would it be like leisure wear?

Yesterday I cut out two music class blouses amd started on one of them last night. They are both of brushed cotton but one is floral and the other plan.

This morning I plan to finish off the music box dress I made earlier in the week so that it can be worn to the speech competition this morning.

This afternoon, the plan is to finish the blouses and sew up a darling tartan 2+2 skirt – provided this migraine actually goes away properly.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I googled loungewear @sarvi and all I got were pyjamas?!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I finished the orange corduroy sandbox pants for baby C, and Miss I. While the size 3 sandbox pics went to Flickr just fine, the pic of Miss I wearing them, just wouldn’t! So I’m attaching here. Her grandmother tried many times to get the ‘perfect’ shot but missy was determined to play up, sticking out her tongue etc. Still it’s a happy shot, and shows a good fit. I’ve also made the same pattern in purple corduroy with pink rac rac on the pockets, front and back, and a 2+2 blouse in the multi-coloured drill (used for the Music Class skirts) with a purple corduroy tab (both for Miss I). Making a few Lullaby Layette pants, and shirts (6-12 mths), and two pairs of T party playshorts, also 6-12mths. This is the first time at making this small size, and so far, so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,926 through 5,940 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.