Oliver + S

Waistband too short

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Johanna @clothandbobbin

I’m finishing a size 12 City Stroll Wrap Skirt. The waistband seems to be too short to fit on the skirt. The waistband piece is 21 1/2″ and is cut on the fold so would end up 43″ minus 1″ after sewing together the ends before turning. The waist on the unfinished skirt is 43″ so I’m short an inch. I can cut another waistband but wondered if it is me or the pattern.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Are you looking at the cut line or the seam line? Sometimes the two are quite different especially on a curved waistband.
    I’ve also had waistbands slightly smaller than the skirt to encourage a snug fit.
    I haven’t made this so I’m not sure if it’s intended or not.
    Good luck 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Depending on your fabric, you may need to ease in the waist a bit to fit the waistband. To do this, you would just add a gathering stitch to the top edge of the skirt and pull up on the thread tails to cinch up the fabric a bit. Then you’ll just smooth the fabric so you don’t have any puckers before sewing it. Does that make sense?

LINK
    Johanna @clothandbobbin

Yes it does make sense and is very likely due to the fact that I’m using the woven fabrics since they seem to be a little more loosely woven. Thanks for the idea.

Johanna

LINK
    littlepapaya @littlepapaya

Hello,
    I’ve made a size 10 skirt and the size 10 waistband is just miles to short. I’ve double checked the sizes on the pattern and also re-printed to make sure I hadn’t missed any part out.

Any clues? I’m stumped! Trying to finish it for my holiday!

Thank you,

Fiona

LINK
    littlepapaya @littlepapaya

Sorted it out thanks! 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I’m glad you figured it out! Thanks for letting us know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.