Oliver + S

Use Corduroy Nap-Up?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Has anyone ever intentionally used corduroy so the nap runs upward instead of downward in the finished garment? I had some slacks like that once, and I loved the richer look of the cloth. I have some nice corduroy I’d like to use for a jumper now, and I’m debating laying out the pattern so the nap will run upwards. Is there any sewing or wearing reason not to? Also, do you think this would annoy the child wearing the garment? I mean, they couldn’t smooth the fabric downward. I think that might have annoyed me back then. Thanks.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Nicole does this. I think is looks very plush.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I do, Liesl suggested it and it looks so lush.
    I was always told the nap *must* run down but I adore the look the other way.
    And as Tildy said when I made her this dress https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/9047251334/in/pool-1729774@N23/ you must cuddle me upwards.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

“You must cuddle me upwards.” LOL I’m going to remember that! And — another sweet photo. You better hope that child stays just that age forever. (Not really.)

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I just cut out a Music Box Jumper of blue regular corduroy, “cuddle me upwards.” Will post pics when it’s done.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Lovely!

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Here is the finished jumper with the nap running upwards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128353028@N04/15215509103/in/pool-oliverands

I like the look very much. It’s rather like looking into velvet when the nap is up like this. You’re looking down into the grove of plushies. Used nap down, as you would naturally do, light reflects off the plushies, so the color appears lighter. However, I do not really like the rough feel when you smooth this fabric downwards. I guess it’s a compromise. However, I certainly do like this look!

Funny story about this fabric. I bought it about 40 years ago and had cut out a very similar jumper for myself. It languished in a box for all that time. It moved with me 5 times and through 3 states. It lived inside a plastic bag in a cardboard box in the attic for years. When I thought of it for this project (not such a long memory, I recently unpacked a lot of stuff), I looked to see if there was enough fabric. Sure enough, I could get the much smaller bodice piece, even positioned upside-down, to reverse the nap, within the bodice I had originally cut. And the skirt pieces were almost exactly the right size just as they were. So, all looked rosy — until I accidentally cut the back bodice pieces out of the front bodice. This meant that I had to put a seam down the front bodice in the new jumper. Duh! (But you can hardly see it. Whew!)

I worked in a fabric store in 1972, my first job after high school. I am using several of those fabrics now to make little Oliver + S clothes out of. Who knew? Who could even imagine?!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would believe it Becky, I sew with fabric older then me!
    Off to check out your links. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.