Oliver + S

Uniform Fabric Sourcing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Jessica @AlwaysACraftyLady

I searched the forums, but it looks like this topic hasn’t come up for a couple of years. Does anyone have a good source of uniform fabric? I’d prefer something at least mostly cotton that comes in navy to make the Music Box Jumper, Hopscotch Skirt, and Music Box Skirt. I see fabric.com has some that might work, but have found their customer service lacking in the past. But I fear they may be my only choice!

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

I used to make my daughter’s uniforms in a poly/cotton bottom weight twill which I found at Joanns. That was 10 yrs ago. I used the poly/cotton since I wanted easy care, neither she nor I wanted to fuss around much for uniforms and they always looked nice and presentable. Joanns has always had a nice selection of bottom weights that go on sale regularly, I just haven’t bought any lately though, still working on using stash.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

this isn’t a twill but it is a bottom weight with good reviews for using it for uniforms. I am sure you can get it at a sale price. When I order online at Joanns there is always a discount code, or check the store flyers. http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-bottomweight-rodeo-cotton-solids-many-colors/xprd768892.html#prefn1=collection&prefv1=Bottomweights&start=1

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I have had good experiences with Onlinefabricstore.net. I plan to get some of this to make dd new uniform skirts:
    navy brushed 100% cotton twill

it seems pricey but it is 60″ wide so good value. they also have a
    regular (not brushed) cotton twill… this is the more hardy stuff that is not as soft, have used this for ds’ pants.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I’m really lucky that I have a great brick and mortar store near me – I went shopping for school uniform fabric there. I bought about 5 different substrates – all manufactured by Robert Kaufman. I have pre-washed all, and they washed up great. One was a twill, one corduroy, one that feels almost like a heavier weight stable knit (suitable for a Jump Rope dress or a Music Box jumper), a terry for a hoodie, and a couple of others that I forget. The point is, I highly recommend anything from Robert Kaufman!

LINK

I should try one of our bigger JoAnn’s. I tried the closest store,but they only had 100% polyester fabric. Thank you! Worst case I can order online, but I like to feel it first if I can.

LINK

Thank you! These both look nice and the price is not bad at all! She’s so teeny I can get a couple of jumpers and skirts from just a few yards of fabric.

LINK

I love Robert Kaufman fabrics! Already planning some of his lawn to make a couple of blouses, but I’m having trouble figuring out which fabrics to buy for the heavier garments. I went to the Purl Soho warehouse and everything seemed either too heavy or too fragile (like linen blends). I shall look around again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.