Oliver + S

Tips for fabric shopping in New York

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’m travelling from Sweden to New York in early September and of course I will be doing some fabric shopping (hopefully there will be actual shopping, not just browsing)

I’ve been checking out a few sites Liesl has recommended (e.g B&J Fabric) plus a few others I found on other blogs (Mood Fabric, M&J Trimmings)

But what other cool/fun/obscure/pick-your-own-adjective stores should I check out? We’ll be staying on 7th Avenue/32nd Street so I’m fairly close to the Garment District from she I understand.

Any tips are welcome.

Thank you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, fun! Here is an old blog post about places I recommend. I need to update it and will try to do so very soon:

http://disdressed.blogspot.com/2006/05/new-york-crafters-resources.html

Note that Purl has moved to a fantastic new location since I wrote this. And have a great trip!

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

I have nothing to add, except… I’m so jealous! Have fun!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Thanks for that list Liesl! I’ll be sure to check out some of them.

LINK
    sarsourour @kookiblah

My husband and I are travelling to New York City for a weekend getaway for our anniversary. Where should I go to shop for fabric? I mostly sew for my kids (ages 4 and 2, girl and boy) and (very rarely) for myself. I can’t spend too much time fabric shopping (though I would love to) so a nice “one stop shop” would be great, but not necessary. Thanks in advance. 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Bump!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Bumped a thread for you, and I’ll add my reply there!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What kinds of things to do you like to sew? Do you prefer fun prints and quilting cottons, or do you prefer to use apparel fabrics? Purl Soho is a tad pricy but has a lot of great ‘fun’ fabrics and is definitely a one-stop shop with everything crafty you can imagine. You can have a look online to get a feel for what they carry.

I haven’t been to the Mood in NYC but the LA one has everything for apparel and the fabrics are generally wider than quilting cottons, so they can be a better value. I find a lot of things in the $14/yard range, though you can easily go up, way up, from there, if you want to get into buying cashmere wool coating. They have a very wide variety, so if you want knits, shirting, denim, linen, cotton prints, etc. all in one place, that’s available. They also have a website where you can browse in advance.

For both stores, I believe the exact items online and in store are different, but the online shops give you a good sense of what sorts of things they carry (and I have seen overlap for both).

@Liesl
    is there any place you can think of that *doesn’t* have an online presence? I’m going to be in NYC soon too and also will have only a tiny bit of time, so I was planning to visit Grey Line linen so I can touch/feel the different weights, and maybe the special button shop.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I am not a New Yorker, but I went fabric shopping in New York in June and went to numerous places in Manhatten and Brooklyn. I would have to say that I have never visited anywhere like Mood in my life. The choice is overwhelming. I pine for going again, and if you choose to go here make sure you have a few hours be prepared for an incredible selection.

There are numerous places close by in the garment district http://garmentdistrictnyc.com/fashion/fashion-directory/

I also went to Grey Line which was lovely and is in the garment district.

The good thing about that area is you can also call in the Museum in FIT which is free and really interesting.

Purl is just a delightful store, and I have had the luxury of going on three separate visits, but is more ‘crafty’ than apparel. But absolutely charming.

I am VERY envious of you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), there’s not really such a thing as one-stop shopping in NYC. We have such a broad variety of options here, it’s impossible to put it all in one place. Like Sarvi said, it really depends on what you’re hoping to find. If you’re looking for a broad variety of quilting cottons try City Quilter or Purl Soho. For everything else, it very much depends on the type of fabric you’re looking for!

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Mood Fabrics is fun but with so many types of fabrics there you should have an idea of the type of fabric you are looking for so you can zero in more quickly.It has floor to almost ceiling packed with rolls of fabrics with signs stating the fabric type and fiber.They also carry ribbons and buttons and fastenings. If you only want to go to one spot, this may be the most interesting since it is featured on TV (Project Runway I believe) and they have a dog that enjoys attention. That is one stop in my tourist mind! Over the years I have gone to many other stores as well, but usually end up at Mood Fabrics. When you go looking for it, note that you go into the building that looks like an office building entry (forgot the address, look it up) and then go up in an elevator as it is not on ground floor. First time I went I passed it by a couple times until a man on the sidewalk who had “lost” his wife inside gave me directions!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, very good point. Habu is a bit like that. The long-suffering non-crafting friend who went with me referred to it as a ‘yarn speakeasy’ 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Mood, I want to go to Mood.

I have a bag Sarvi sent me and I always use it at Spotlight.
    (In South Australia you take your own shopping bags, they are not supplied)

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Mood is awesome BUT overwhelming. Go prepared with an idea of fabric types in mind. If you have patterns in mind, know the yardage for various widths.

Also, don’t be shocked if you see someone “famous”. When I was there last June, I saw Vera Wang. I saw this very elegant Asian woman blow in with two or three assistants discussing what she was looking for.

It was one of those… OMG is that who I think it is? But Mood gets so many of that type, that no one blinks an eye. I admit it, I blinked. Like an owl. I don’t get all agog at celebrities, but I am surprised when I “run” into one in a normal setting.

Only sewist are like.. Mood is a normal setting. They get lots of tourists who buy fabric just to say they bought stuff at Mood.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Are you looking for just fabric, or notions as well? Basically there is a few blocks, 37th and 38th between 7th and 8th, that can seriously stock you up for years. It is so much that there are places like Spandex House that only have stretchy material. Some will give you a price break for cash vs. credit. Paron, B & J and NY Elegant are some that I love. Beckenstein has two floors of fabric for menswear, your husband might enjoy getting “parked” there while you browse. The store next to it (I forget the name! urgh…) has been my go-to place for twill and uniform/pants fabrics for 3 years.
    Greenberg and Hammer just has buttons, zippers, snaps, etc. Pacific Trimming has a great selection of zippers and colored elastic as well as bag and belt hardware, and gimp/trimming/passementerie. M&J has patches, spikes, feathers, rhinestones, FOE, ribbon, and appliques. SIL Thread has many sewing and drafting tools as well as walls and walls of thread and zippers.
    Pins and Needles is a cute store on the Upper East Side with many children’s fabrics; City Quilter has their own fabric line and laminates; Purl has lots of cute Japanese cotton. HTH!

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Reeni.
    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Sarvi.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.