Oliver + S

How to achieve this look for Garden Party dress?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Cheri @innovate077

I just received my pattern Garden Party and wanted to make the version in the photo for adding Pom Poms and Tassels , my question is which part or piece of the pattern is omitted from this photo to achieve the photo of the girl sitting on bed , the pattern shows a gathered panel but the dress on the little girl has no gathered panel , Can anybody please explain to me how to replicate this exact dress Could you please provide me with a thorough explanation i would greatly appreciate it.
    I adore these patterns !!!

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Cheri.
    • This topic was modified 8 years ago by Sarvi. Reason: Edited title to clarify question
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi Cheri, I could be mistaken but that looks like an inspiration photo used to show how sleeves look with pom pom trim added to the sleeve edge. I think you could achieve a similar look by extending the pattern piece for the gathered section to dress length, but I’m afraid I have not made the Garden Party so I don’t know how it’s constructed and whether that would work. It looks like the photo may also show either a separate skirt section, or a seam with pom pom trim inserted at about hip level. I can’t really tell from that photo.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

That blog post was really inspiring wasn’t it, I love this inspiration dress too.

When you look at the pattern there is a band appliqued across the front which you could omit, meaning that the dress would be gathered at the neck but not again lower down.

I’m just having a think about what I would do on the back. I might have to come back to that as i’m away on my holidays without the pattern to refer to! Hopefully someonewith more experience of pattern adapting will come back to you.

LINK
    Cheri @innovate077

Sarvi,
    I really appreciate your help , I will try what you suggested it is such a precious dress and yes the tassels were the purpose of the post but I was hoping to replicate the photo version , I adore the simplicity of the design .Hello anyone out there who made the version in the photo I need your input please !
    I will take my time and study the pattern for the best solution to acheiving the look again I appreciate your reply Sarvi and happy sewing .

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Cheri.
    LINK
    Cheri @innovate077

dubhels200,
    Thank you for your reply , I am taking my time with this one , I adore the pattern and please if you can sort it out and assist in suggesting what to do to acheive the same dress it would be greatly appreciated .
    Enjoy your holiday and thank you again.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Is it a home-sewn dress? Or a commercial product? The original image comes from an Etsy page selling the little bow in the girl’s hair, so I don’t think that whoever made or manufactures that dress can see your question.

Here’s a crinkled gauze that’s inexpensive and might work — give it a try and see what you come up with! Good luck!

http://www.moodfabrics.com/salmon-crinkled-cotton-gauze-fc25124.html

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi
    LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

Hello to all,
    Where is that blog post? The dress in the picture looks so… I don’t even know how to say it in english, so angelic and sweet and innocent.
    Who don’t want to sew that? I do, as soon as possible. I notice some differences between the pattern and the dress in the picture but I think that the easier way is just to omit the waistband and add pom poms to the sleeves and hem like dubhels200 said.I will give it a try for sure but only the next week because I don’t have the right fabric in my stash at the moment.

Can you please give me the link of the blog post?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Sure thing, here it is:

adding pom poms and tassels to oliver + s patterns

Looking forward to seeing what you gals come up with!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My daughter wants one like that too. Really, it’s simple – just eliminate the waist band from garden party and you’ll have the same dress/tunic. The waist band is only top stitched on. Just skip it.

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

thank very much Sarvi and Meliza I can’t wait to try that. And now that I’ve seen that blog post…

LINK
    Cheri @innovate077

To Everyone Who Replied ,
    The Garden Party Dress inquiry in how acheive the look of the photo with little angelic peachy toned dress , I hear harps playing a chorus of celebration now regarding how to replicate it ! I am thrilled with the response , suggestions, interest and links you are all amazing and very helpful and I am excited that I joined Oliver+S and the forum with such helpful and like minded women . Thank you all for your assistance and if anybody else replicates the dress please share how you did it and the photos of it as well .
    Thank You So Very Much

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Cheri, I would do as the other girls have suggested
    I blogged the dress here http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/garden-party-dress-part-two.html if you wish to see the step the lovely ladies are referring too.

LINK
    Cheri @innovate077

Thank you Nicole ,
    I went ot view the tutorial at the link you sent to me and saved it , that will be so helpful thank you so very much for taking the time to help me out with it , just hoping I can figure it out .
    Have a great week end

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My pleasure @Cheri, I look forward to your beautiful creation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.