Oliver + S

Stupid things I’ve done while sewing O&S patterns

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sewing with a newborn is an amazing effort !

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Yes it is, but I need to do a little bit of something here and there for my sanity!! So, I am not nearly as productive as I was a few weeks ago, but It does feel good to do something!

LINK
    rastis @rastis

oh these are great and make me feel so much better about the crazy things i do…

on my first ice cream blouse i was sewing it so tired (gosh that’s the only way i sew at the moment with a new baby in the house!) i kept accidentally catching the back fabric when i was sewing on the front yoke… i have no idea how i did it… but i did it THREE times in a row… and developed a serious case of late night sailor mouth… amazingly the fabric survived all that unpicking and re-sewing!

LINK
    corlee @corlee

it was a while ago, while i was still pregnant, but i was finishing edges on a sailboat top and managed to sew right through my finger. twice. once while going through and once pulling my finger back. needle broke in my finger and i still have shrapnel inside of it. the kickers? i had to go to the ER – and it was the second time that week since i had fallen down stairs earlier (the nurse was like “you need to stay out of here” – they are great staff but frankly wasn’t there because i wanted to be there).

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

whatever i did when i cut out my placket for the jump rope dress turned out to be incorrect. I was making a contrast underplacket, but some how got it reversed so my placket opens in the opposite direction. Not the worst thing that could happen i suppose

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I remember reading here about how somebody had sewn her presser foot to her garment, and thinking, how on earth is that even possible?

MYSTERY SOLVED.

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

Oh SARVI!!!! I am sitting here laughing at you (in the nicest possible way 🙂 Do tell – how the heck did that happen??

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Sarvi, I’ve done that, and I’ve even sewn my material to the feed dogs. Don’t even ask.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

That sounds like a 1am thing. 😉

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, I think the first step is, have a baby. The last step is, have poor control of the material and work in a tight space (sewing sleeve of School Days raincoat in size 2). A bit of fabric bunched up and traveled over the toe of the foot, then got sewn down and pulled back by the feed dogs. I kept thinking I could just tug it but no such luck, there was a big knot of thread locking it in.

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

Ah, it all makes sense now. I’ve created the thread/fabric “knot of death” on (in?) my machine more than once. I blame the equipment. Every.Time.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

knot of death! I like that title – lots of that happening today especially when edgestitching. For some reason my machine doesn’t like corners with nothing to hang onto. Bit like those lovely scenic views of roads in Europe where you have a straight edge downwards right next to the road!

Today though, it was cutting out that was the stupid thing. Shortened the length of the sleepover pyjama pants to make shorties (as we call them), went to cut them out and have realised … two sides the same thanks to not turning the pattern over! Really hoping I have enough left for the top or else it will turn into trim fabric. Grrr!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have just sewn my invisible zipper inside out!! Unpicked about a hundred times because the back bodice pieces weren’t matching so am about to try again!!

LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

Haha! Count me in for sewing the presser foot to my garment! Then last night while making a music class skirt, I had sewn the pleated part on to the pocket part for both sides. Right before I was about to finish the edges and attach them to the front and back, I realized that the pleats were going the same direction on both sides. Grrr. How did I do that? My seam ripper and I are best friends…

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

My current pet peeve (having done most of the above!) is spending an evening cutting out patterns, tidy everything up, put it all away… Next night, ready to sew, kids all asleep: Instructions say: “Fuse a 1″ strip of interfacing” Aaargh. Didn’t cut any interfacing. It’s stashed away in the bedroom with the very light sleeping baby.

I’ve done it so many times now…..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.