Oliver + S

Stretch Fabric and Remove Buttons on Seashore?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Thinking about using this as the starting point for a costume. But I’d like to modify the shoulders to be closed seams and use a stretch fabric.

From those of you who have sewn this pattern before, am I crazy to attempt it with a stretch fabric? Any tips or advice?

(This was the first Oliver + s pattern I bought, but my daughter is just shy of fitting into a 5, so this will be my first attempt at this pattern.)

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This one is designed to have a pretty slim silhouette. What age is the child and how much stretch does your fabric have? I imagine an older child could shimmy into it but it might be a bit of a struggle. When you say stretch, are you thinking of a woven with some stretch? Or a knit? Could you use snaps (the kind you sew in) or velcro to make a closure that doesn’t show from the outside if the issue is wanting to avoid the look of buttons?

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

I think it’s a rayon/jersey blend with probably 50% stretch.

My daughter and I have differing opinions and she picked out the fabric, since it’s for her I decided to go with it. Now I’m wondering how much of a pain this might be…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That’s a pretty good amount of stretch — would you be able repurpose it into a regular Seashore if it didn’t work out as a closure-free version?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it is a stretch fabric and she doesn’t mind a bit of tugging I think it would be do-able.

I would sew it, with out the facings, safely pin the shoulders closed and try it on. If it works, snip off the excess strap, if it doesn’t, finish it with the buttons and button holes.

I have a tute here if you would like a peep at the construction.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That would be here http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/she-sews-seashore-dresses.html

I really need to learn how to do this without Hugo’s help….

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

@motherof5 Thanks for the link to the tutorial 🙂 I love having something for reference for new patterns or when I get stuck (which happens a lot).

I have these grand ideas and I’m fearless going into it and then I get ready to start and freeze up and start to panic. It’s a costume, so it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Thanks everyone and I will let you know how it goes!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.