Oliver + S

Sketchbook into straightleg trousers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

I am thinking about trying to work the sketchbook short pattern into a straightleg (fitted) trouser leg pattern. I do not have a pair of pants to trace that are the shape I am thinking about. Would you all start by thinning out the legs from the hip down? Would you take some off the inside of the leg and outside then just add length? I just thought I would try to get a starting point before making multiple muslins.

Thanks for your insight!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom
    LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Ah, Beachmom beat me to it.

LINK

Thankyou! I actually had saw that tutorial, but I am looking to keep the trouser look of the top of the pants with the pleats, and just skinny the leg up for a boys pair of pants. I was thinking I should start from the hip area and just skim some off the outside and maybe the inside. After rereading this, I think that *may* work.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve done this and what I did was just extend the existing line (which is not exactly straight up and down but tapers in a touch) and that worked pretty well. I worry that if you taper from the hip it might end up pretty narrow at the ankle and give a jodhpur effect, which doesn’t sound like what you’re thinking of. Just an idea, I haven’t tried it the other way. I need to make some of these as well, I love them as trousers.

LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

Mrskanuckles, I was actually in the process of doing this myself when you first posted, and had to laugh because I had come here looking for the same advice! So I made sure to snap a camera phone pic of my adjusted pattern before I cut it:

Adding length to Sketchbook Shorts pattern

If you click on the photo, it will take you to the photoset and the caption where I describe how I did it. In the photoset there is also a closer photo of the front pattern piece, and a couple of pics of my boy showing how the straight leg turned out. Let us know what you decided and how it worked! 🙂

LINK

Highpowermom, Thanks so much for posting the pictures. It helps to see it for sure. I was going to try an even skinnier leg then the straightleg for an outfit for project run and play sew along, but I ended up changing it to a shorts outfit. I still want to try the trousers with the straightleg just as you did, for my son. They look perfect.

LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

You’re welcome, and thank you! Next I’m going to actually make these as shorts! 🙂

LINK
    Deepa @DeepaThomas

My current staple is the after school pants , for my slim 5 yr old son, but I may well think of making him a pair of pants using the Sketchbook pattern, which I also own. So this is being faved by me for that point in my future sewing . Thank you for posting this!

LINK
    Tara @4dfamily98

I just bought my first Oliver+S pattern. Am impressed with the attention to detail. My garment for my daughter turned out top notch. My question for you all is about the Sketchbook pattern. My son (14 yo) is too big for this pattern, boo! Was wondering if anyone knows of a pattern by Oliver + S or similar (something top notch) that I can make a button down shirt as well as some nice pants like these shorts. He likes linen blend for the pants to give a feel for the material and type of pants. In this pattern, I like the faux fly and pockets.

Thanks for any help you can provide

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Tara @4dfamily98 is he into small adult sizing?
    Thread Theory (www.threadtheory.ca) make men’s patterns that tend to be a slimmer “athletic” fit and would probably suit a teenager. They are beautiful patterns and ones that I would rank as “up there with Oliver + S”.
    They have just released their button down shirt in paper pattern.
    But you know we’re all waiting for the day when @liesl gives us the women’s and men’s button down shirt patterns we’ve been asking for…. So you could just join in with hassling her 😉

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Well okay then. Between you and me, I’m working on it!

LINK
    Tara @4dfamily98

Great! Thanks Liesl for the news. Can’t wait until it’s out.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Yay for bigger sizing, the Sketchbook shirt is my go-to for uniforms! Very happy with the results from the Art Museum trouser for my 12 year old who is starting to be true to size, and plan to just upsize on length (more important in rise than leg) as long as I can get away with it… 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.