Oliver + S

Serger Problems!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • LINK
    Rae Downing @ladyraestewart

I’ve taken it in for servicing three times. They find nothing wrong and tell me what seems logical to even me – the situation I described that happens defies the laws of physics. How does the thread become unthreaded from the needle but doesn’t break but a piece of thread has become looped through the needle not connected to the needle thread? Anyway, I was hoping someone else might have experienced this problem and could offer some insight. Other than this reoccurring problem, it’s been a good serger.

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Do new needles help?

I have had that happen before but not on a regular basis and I was puzzled as to how it could possibly happen too, but the same deal. Everything threaded still but one thread in the wrong position and no stitching.

My general solution to these issues is to totally rethread. That is to cut off at the spool end, pull all the threads out of the machine, put in new needles and then rethread.

Last year when I had an awful time with thread breaking (so much so that my dh bought me a new overlocker!) we discovered it was actually the thread! It would break every so often, possibly due to sun damage from being left on a sunny desk for a while. So now I have 2 working overlockers!

Very frustrating that the repair person was not more useful. I do hope a solution comes to light for you soon.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I agree Kerrilyn, rethreading in the correct order helps as I have experienced this. Jumping thread out of the loopers I have also experienced and the only way to fix this (in my experience) was to rethread in order.

I completely sympathise with you over the ordeal of an unhelpful repair person. I had issues with a sewing machine years ago and the woman told me I had threaded it incorrectly! Funny how the second opinion was completely different.

Don’t give up! Surely there is someone who will find the solution to help you on your way. I admit I feel like I am taking a bit of a stab in the dark because our serger/ overlockers are different brands. But please don’t lose heart. We are really trying to help.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    Sarah @SarahDinger

Rae, I have this exact problem, down to the fact that the service technician has been unable to replicate it. I just figured out that what’s happening is the lower looper is just barely hitting the needle, and, when there’s more tension on the needle thread (like when sewing heavier fabric) the needle is pulled back slightly by the tension and the lower looper sometimes even passes in front of the needle instead of behind it. I have NOT been able to figure out how to fix this myself, but thought it might be useful to you to hear.

LINK
    Calditer Saunders @calditer

Hello, I have a problem with my server, The server pressed foot lifting handle will not not lift. Wha can do do to fix this?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m no expert in sergers, that’s for sure! I’d suggest taking it to a service center or someone who can take a look at it. They’re quite a specialized piece of equipment, and I’m just happy when I can thread mine successfully.

LINK
    Suzanka @suzanka

Hello blog peeps! I have a huge problem. The serger is making the chain, but it’s not moving off the stitch finger! I have to pull it while im operating it (with force) and when i put fabric, it bunches up like crazy and i just broke a needle… Any clue anyone?? Here is a picture… https://goo.gl/fhqq15

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ugh, wish I could help! I sort of freak out whenever my serger starts giving me problems. Sometimes, like with sewing machines, it helps to just re-thread it. But given how much I hate re-threading a serger, that’s no small task. Do you have a good local repair shop? It might be worth stopping by to see if they can offer advice and maybe a quick fix?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Sounds like a problem with the differential feed. Or maybe the feed dogs aren’t moving at all?…
    Somewhere you’ll have a differential feed dial that alters the travel of the fabric. Have you fiddled with that?
    If rethread get and fiddling with the feed doesn’t work then I’d call in help.
    Good luck

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

I’ll be more than happy if you solve it and post here how….
    My serger is doing the very same thing. I was thinking of opening the feed and cleaning all the lint or something like that…or going to look for professional help😔😔😔

LINK
    JEB O’Barr @markjebobarr@hotmail.com

The red/orange thread should be behind the bar. I was the serger instructor for my local sewing machine store for a while. I own two sergers and have had this problem before, but can’t remember what I did to fix it. After you rethread make sure the foot is down and lengthen the stitch length. I would try adjusting the differential feed, and make sure the feed dogs are moving. Sometimes the thread is not in the tension disks or the tension is off. I experimented with makine the tensions looser until I got it working. As long as the machine is making a correct stitch, the tension dials can be on what works. You can take it later to get it adjusted to what the book recommends when you have more time and money.

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

@suzanka, did you finally solve the problem?
    After cleaning the lint, rethreading the whole thing several times, changing needles… I took it to the service center. They have fixed the problem They have told me that it was a problem with the differential feed. They have adjusted it and now it seems to work correctly. They have told me that this problem has probably happened because I have pulled hard of the fabric, or I have tried to use it with a too thick fabric or too many layers of fabric.. Somehow, I must have forced the feeding and disadjusted it.
    Hope you have solved your problem, too.
    Now, I have some knits waiting to become metro t-shirts… If only I could find the time…!

LINK
    Suzanka @suzanka

Hello lovely people!

So I emailed the customer support at Brother and they were so amazing with me! They actually sent me a new serger! Talk about awesome customer service!

They didn’t figure out what was wrong with my machine, but after comparing both of them side by side, it looks like my cutter was broken! And then I found a small piece of metal which looked like the cutter. It must have flew out somehow! So I guess since the cutter was broken, it skrewed up the whole alignment of the machine. At least now I know how to do troubleshooting because everything you guys mentioned I tried! I wish there was a close up of the cutter section on the internet, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how it ‘Should’ have looked. Happy with my new serger now!!!

LINK
    Erin @EBrophy

I am new to serging. I was recently given an old Simplicity Serger Pro, figured it out, and got active doing projects. My first main project was rolled hem small cloth napkins. I made over 80 before the machine started to slow down and start seizing after I would stop to adjust the material or thread tail. I could loosen it up using the hand wheel, and it would continue on, but would seize again when I stop. When I step on the pedal it just makes a sad, long grunt noise and doesn’t move unless I give it a manual boost…and then that even started not working. I went through and dusted and oiled all the parts shown in the manual (should have oiled them at first, I admit, but I was so busy just trying to figure out the machine). After that break, it worked well again for another half of an 8×8 napkin…I struggled through just to finish it, and decided not to push it. My husband went through and oiled other parts this evening, I got through one and a half napkins before it started seizing again…I worked it through the second one just to finish it, but don’t want to push it much more…or only do two napkins at a time. When turning the hand wheel, it tightens most at the extreme top of the upper looper rod and clears up at the center and tightens again (not quite as much) at the extreme lower end of the rod. The rod doesn’t appear to be bent. I can’t seem to find any info about this issue, but am hoping that someone has experienced something similar and has some advice. I have a fair number of Christmas gifts I would love to make that I can only do with a serger.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

This definitely sounds like a job for a professional, Erin! I wouldn’t know where to begin, but any sewing machine repair place can probably help. Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.