Oliver + S

Secret Agent coat in cotton jersey?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Fiona @fiona

I was wondering if anyone has made the coat in cotton jersey. And if so, any tips or suggestions? Should I still add interfacing?

I can’t see a search function for this forum on the phone, so I apologise if this has already been addressed. That’s right, this is my first Oliver + s pattern and I’m already going off the tracks.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Hah! It was my first O+S pattern, too – a halloween costume for my then-3 month old son. Because what baby too young to roll over *doesn’t* need a trenchcoat?!
    (incidentally, I love the pattern!)

I can’t claim to be an expert, but I think it might hang funny in cotton jersey. If you try it, though, I would at a minimum interface behind the butt

LINK
    Fiona @fiona

Hmm, you might be right about the drape. Thanks!

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Uh. That was a weird, weird cutoff. I meant buttonholes, not butt. Probably no need to interface the seat of the jacket!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Ha ha ha @Enbee, it gave me a good laugh.

I follow the rule you can make most woven patterns with knits (if you take great care) but not the other way.

I would indeed interface the button holes and where you sew the buttons (an extra square where they would go) and handle the fabric gently when sewing. Stay stitching the neck will be very necessary and using a thin strip of interfacing in the seam allowance can help prevent things stretching out.

It would be very comfortable in a knit.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

PS Interface the collar and facings as normal as well as the extra at the button holes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.