Oliver + S

Roller Skate in knit fabric?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

Do you think it would be possible to make this in a knit? Without the lining and just hemming the neckline, sleeves, and bottom? You’d have to add proper elastic casing, perhaps out of a ribbon or piece of knit ribbing? I love the shape of this pattern so much, and I love little knit dresses in my girls. It reminds me a lot of dress from Tea Collection, most of which are knit.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I don’t see why you couldn’t. You probably wouldn’t even need the opening in the back with a knit. But if you did keep the opening, you might want to do a facing for the slit.

LINK
    Jerney @Jerney

I was considering the exact same option. I love the shape and style, but I think a tunic/dress with a lining will be too heavy for my 4-year-old in the Phoenix summer. I’ve also considered making it with the lining but using a tissue-thin type cotton weave for both the tunic and the lining–if I do this I am wondering if the seams will be visible through the light fabric.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Please take lots of pics of the process. Love the dress. Want to make an unlined version, but those curvy arm hems seem too challenging!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

You might want to size down a size as the knit will stretch and the pattern seems to be generous.

If your making an unlined woven I would use some bias binding on the curvy arm hems.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think a knit would be lovely but I would use a woven for the neck facing to keep it in place.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I agree with Nicole, a woven for the facing will stabilise the knit at the neck and lessen the chance of ugly stretched necklines.

LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

Such good ideas! I wouldn’t have thought about going down a size or the woven facing — makes perfect sense. I cut out a 12-18 mos for my youngest in a cheap fabric.com rib knit and started in on it….and the neckline is way, way too big. (I did the view without the facing.) It’s not a lost cause, though. I’m going to pleat it to size so it’s at least wearable. I think I should have also used a more stable knit. I’ve been having the worst trouble with ribbed knits and stretching recently.

I do think this will work — I’m going to try down a size with the facing in woven next. Thanks so much for your help and ideas! I feel this would have been a lost project otherwise since the first muslin hasn’t worked so well. Y’all are fabulous!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Even the pleated neckline sound cute!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well, it is the kind of knit that will cause success. A more stable knit will be better, if I can do a badminton top on knit then you should be able to do a roller skate in knit – the book report dress can be done in a knit also. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

You could maybe put ribbing around the neckline. I’ve been thinking about making this in knit and, since I would not include the lining, I would use a piece of ribbing for the elastic casing.

LINK
    R. Langsto @rlangsto

I’ve cut the pattern out of pink w/white polka-dot knit. It is from “Weekend in the City” line from 3-4 years ago. I’m making size 8 for my great niece. I cut a piece cross grain of the dress fabric for the casing, but now realize it is too stretchy. How do you calculate length of knit fabric to use for the casing? My great niece loves the the feel of the knit fabric and the color. I don’t want to sew the dress until I’m sure I have correct length for casing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.