Oliver + S

Restorative Reading

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I thought about starting a thread for posting links to interesting creative articles, images and inspiration which the awesome Liesl could peruse while convalescing.

I came to the oliver + s forums during my first period of maternity leave and I think I read every forum entry during the middle of the night, so maybe these links will also be of use to anyone else who is looking for something inspiring while up in the night for whatever reason!

My current obsession is this slavicfolkmuseum feed in instagram https://www.instagram.com/slavicfolkmuseum/?hl=en

I am obsessed with folk style embroidery, and I love the details here.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

That is so nice and thoughtful of you! I know Liesl will appreciate it. She is a voracious reader, and I know she will look at every link posted here and then will go looking for more. So, yes, everyone please add links to anything you have read or seen lately that you think she would like.

And here is a short update for those of you who are interested. The surgery today went very well and Liesl is recovering right on schedule or even a little bit before. Just before I left the hospital tonight, we took a walk up and down the hallway. She is feeling relatively good and is up on her feet already.

On my way out I stopped to see our friend who received a new kidney today. (We found out early today that her kidney arrived in Newark on a United red eye flight from the West Coast and that Liesl’s will go to someone right here in New York–in an operation at the hospital where S was born.) Our friend is doing really well, is in good spirits, and says she already feels so much better. The kidney is in and doing what kidneys are supposed to do!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh that is excellent news @todd. I think it’s even better knowing where your kidney is going but of course there wouldn’t be much more than that. Please send Liesl our best. Really glad to know she’s up and about already. Major surgery has a tendency to knock you for a six if you’re no careful!

@dubhels2003
    such a lovely kind person you are😀

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    NanaMar @NanaMar

What good news, Todd! What a wonderful gift you have given your friend, Liesl!

I have a book recommendation for you: His Whole Life by Elizabeth Hay, a Canadian author from Ottawa, the story of a ten year old boy who lives in New York City and summers in Ontario with themes of loss, forgiveness and love – lots of love, set in the 1990’s during the time of the referendum in Quebec. Ms. Hay writes so well, the book is a joy to read.

I hope your recovery continues to be speedy and comfortable, Liesl.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

If she hasn’t already discovered this site, she may really enjoy looking at this. http://www.ISSUU.com is a magazine and publication site and all the products are free for reading and there is also a publication option for those who want to produce their own publications! There are literally thousands of items ready for reading pleasure and no legal infringement issues since the publishers sign themselves on board and decide what to make available for reading. There are current magazines and tons of back issues in every language and from all over the planet, items from crafting, fashion, sports, travel, science and technology, you name it. You can create lists for yourself and since this is a public site these lists are open for everyone, so I have my list but I also look at lists from folks who have similar interests, judging by what I see on their lists. It is a terrific way to explore things that may have eluded your interest in the past, for me, that is technology and I have found new found pleasure in these publications when in the past I would not have spent my cash on buying them. There are even books in there, many crafting and fashion books in fact. I can only read in English but I truly enjoy looking at publications from all over the world. You do not need to translate to enjoy all the wonderful stuff out there. Prayers going out for a speedy uncomplicated recovery for Liesl.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You are kind @dubhels2003.

Get well soon @liesl

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thank you so much! I’m just starting to get back on my feet, and it’s been nice to have lots of reading to keep my occupied during my recovery. Many weeks to go before I’m fully myself again, so I appreciate any reading suggestions you send my way! xo

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I heard this interesting program a while back: http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/483855073/the-problem-with-the-solution

I was struck by the thorn in the heart of it: that our desire to help those close to us who are suffering, our emotional investment in their wellbeing, may be the very thing that makes us unfit to help.

More on the remarkable town of Geel, where the mentally ill live for decades as boarders in the homes of hosts:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/01/484083305/for-centuries-a-small-town-has-embraced-strangers-with-mental-illness

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, and here’s an interesting discussion of the controversies behind awards for children’s books (who knew?) that I came across while looking for a book on William Blake for my child. I sharply disagree with some parts of this piece but I do like that it asks questions more than it offers pat answers:

http://www.hbook.com/2016/07/choosing-books/horn-book-magazine/2015-in-review-the-year-in-words/

“To what extent can we trust child readers to truly understand potentially problematic texts? What is right for them and what is wrong for them? What is censorship and what is judicious editing and selection? “

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh and last one:

http://www.lacma.org/ReigningMen#highlights

oh my, that Etro suit. I’m salivating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.