Oliver + S

Pick stitching?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m working on a vest and have decided that edge stitching with my machine gives a more casual vibe than I’m going for. However, it annoys me greatly when the lining rolls out on the edge. So, I thought about pick stitching like on men’s suits. Does anyone know of any tutorials or done this before? Is it just a running stitch?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, I’d love to teach you how to do this and I’ve always meant to do a tutorial for it! Let me see if we can find time to do it in the next couple of weeks, ok? Or is that too late? I think I recall an article in Threads magazine years ago about it if you need it sooner. They were pick stitching a back zipper on a dress and adding beads to the pick stitching for a decorative element.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

It would be too late for this one…it is for preschool graduation. But, I’m planning another in a flax linen for a wedding mid-June and would LOVE to know how before then! YES PLEASE!!

I ended up under-stitching everywhere I could reach on this one, and I think it is going to work out fine. Now to pick buttons and a shorts pattern. I’m on the fence between the sketchbooks and art museums.

Here is the unfinished vest with a pair of art museum shorts he happened to be wearing when I tried it on him before school this morning. I added a lot of length and reshaped the bottom of the vest a bit. I should have moved the welts down even further I think. Next time…

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, ok. Well, a pick stitch is basically a backstitch that has lots of space between each stitch–it travels on the back side so you have long floats. (If that sounds like I’m speaking Martian, sorry.) I’ll definitely do a tutorial soon.

The vest looks great! Happy graduation!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

So it goes all the way through both layers?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Is that what that stitching is? Our accountant had a smart new suit on and I noticed it.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Yes, goes all the way through both layers. Visible stitches should be quite small and farther apart than feels natural.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I found this video from Threads that shows it very nicely: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/32606/video-how-to-sew-a-pickstitch

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Thankyou Sarvi for uploading the link. I could actually work it successfully that time instead of through google search like I did before.

I can hear the “aaah’s” now! Looking forward to seeing all the pickstitching that will follow.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.