Oliver + S

Need help with Music Class skirt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

Hi! I’m trying to assemble the pocket and step two has me confused. I did exactly as instructions state but it seems to short when I try to attach the pleated insert. I’m sure it’s something simple but can anyone explain it to me?
    I’ve included a photo to show how it looks after I edge stitched and matched the edge stitched piece to the notches with the line/larger dots.
    The photo wouldn’t attach. I’m so frustrated trying to figure out this simple step. 🙂

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Rosemary.
    LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I can dig out my instructions in a minute here. First, tell me what does the pocket plus pleated insert seem too short for?

I’ve been meaning to sew up another of these. Maybe I will trace out the pattern in size 8 and follow along . . .

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

OK, looking at the instructions now.

If I am recalling this correctly, the pocket doesnt go all the way to the bottom of the side panel. It goes part way. Which makes sense, because if you have a lucky frog or a violin rosin in your skirt pocket, you don’t want to be bending over to fetch it from just above your knee. It also reduces bulk in the seam. The pleat gets sewn to the bottom of the panel, not the bottom of the pocket.

Does that help? I can try again if I misunderstood the problem!

LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

I have the side panel wrong side up like the instructions show…now it says to fold and press the side panel towards the wrong side of the bottom notches-the line with the small dots. And edge stitch. I did that.

Then I assume I turn it over to right side up-that’s what the diagram shows. And then match the edge stitch fold to the notches at the top with the large dots. When I do that it doesn’t look anything like the diagram. I know I’m doing something wrong.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

OK, we’re talking about pattern piece 12 here. It’s narrower at the top than at the bottom, and it has some notches on the sides.

I usually ignore the dots.

First – did you trace the right size?
    Next – is the piece right-side up (slightly narrower bit at the top)?

When I do this, I press and pin the pleats first (I’m fussy), then I put my skirt pieces wrong side up on my ironing board and fold/press at the first set of notches from the bottom. Edge stitch. Press again. There are now two sets of notches above my fold on the pattern piece.

I fold my pattern piece AT the lower set of remaining notches. I fold it TO the upper set of notches. What follows is my attempt to draw an ASCII pic of the results from the wrong side:

| |
    |. |
    >. < (top set of notches)
    |. |
    |. |
    |. |
    ———- (this is the fold)
    |. |
    ———- (this is the seam)
    (Pleats go here)

From the right side you get:
    |. |
    |. |
    ———- (top of pocket)
    |. |
    |. |
    |. |
    |. |
    ———- (seam)
    (Pleats go here)

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by EllenMCM. Reason: Shirts are not skirts
    LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

OK, that us a bad ASCII drawing. The lines are supposed to be the same width apart as the “seams”

LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

Ok so in the first step you fold AT the bottom line/bottom notches and not TO the bottom line/bottom notches…

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

Yes. You might have to do some unpicking. Did that fix it?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/music-class-medley.html

This post is about the pleats but possibly the photos may help?

LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

Yes! You have been an amazing help! Thank you for taking the time. 😀
    Now hopefully it’s smooth sailing for me the rest of the way. Thank you again!

LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

Thank you too Nicole! I’m off to check out the link you posted.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My pleasure, @ellenmcm was the hero here!
    Happy sewing.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

How did you go Rosemary? Are you on your way again?

LINK
    Rosemary @rlwright75

Yes! I made my way through that and am now at the waistband so almost finished! Thank you! 🙂

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

Hooray!

I love this skirt – the pockets and the pleats make it special, but it’s a great, quick sew.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.