Oliver + S

Messenger Bag – using a directional print on the back panel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    It's me Sophie @Itsmesophie

Hello lovelies,

I hope this makes sense. This is my first messenger bag and I’m using a directional print. To ensure the print is the right way up for the back and the front flap I’m thinking I need to cut the back flap piece into two and sew together.

Does this sound right? Has anyone done this and can give me some tips on where I should do this??

Thanks in advance?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Yep that’s what you’d need to do. Don’t forget to add seam allowance where you split the back panel and the front flap.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh, and as for where, I would do it so that the seam aligns with the notches where the side panels meet the back panel. Hope that helps.

LINK

Thanks Lightening. So if I do it where the side notches are I should be ok?

LINK

Just a follow up as I’ve been hesitant to start. Would I be better using a print with no direction. I’m wondering if that would work better?!?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Oliver and S Little Things to Sew messenger bag outside
    It will be cute anyway you lay it out. I agonized over how to use the fabric for the messenger bag. I ended up running the fabric in the wrong direction and covered up the ballerinas on the side panels. Still one of my favourite bags.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I used a directional print – first I cut the fabric sideways, then had to re-do it! I added a strip of the strap fabric across the top seam where it joined to kind of cover it up.

Here’s mine:

Messenger Bag from Little Things to Sew

LINK

Thank you both for sharing. They are gorgeous!! Ok I think I’ll do the directional print. I just need half an hour of quiet (with 2 boys) to work out the cutting. Wish me luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.