Oliver + S

Is there a name for this style?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

Hello, I will be sewing my daughter’s First Communion dress this spring. She fell in love with one that has an attached small capelet/shrug that goes all around the dress, about 5 inches tall and covers her shoulders. I don’t know what this is called in order to search for a pattern! Can anyone help? My description isn’t very good, but here is a link to the dress (rosenau at sears.com).

http://www.sears.com/rosenau-girl-s-communion-dress/p-077VA79268212P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=07748705012&kispla=077VA79268212P&kpid=07748705012&mktRedirect=y

Alternatively, if there is an O&S pattern that could be easily modified, please point me in that direction as well! TIA

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Hmmmm, I would probable search for capelet, bolero, and shrug just to see what I could find.

Jane

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

It’s a really low-res image so I can’t make it out very well. If it’s attached is it like an oversized Peter Pan collar?
    For a capelet you could modify the Red Riding Hood cape from Little Things To Sew. Just leave the hood off and shorten it. If you take a little off the front panels so they don’t overlap then you could have a ribbon tie at the centre neck.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Wow, that reminds me of a prom dress I begged my mom to make for me in 1992. It also reminds me of the dress belle wears in beauty and the beast, which was my favorite of all the Disney dresses until Elsa.

It’s a slightly dated style, but you might be able to find something similar. It’s not a cape let at all but part of the sleeve. I feel like I have seen something similar in
    Little Vogue.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Found it! I meant Butteick, which are on sale right now on the website.

Why on earth won’t my link appear? Whatever, google butterick 3351.

It doesn’t have that princess pointy waist, but it has the wrap around sleeve concept, whatever that may be called. And the pointy waist is a little too costume like for my taste on what is meant to be a sacred occasion. But you’ll have to forgive me, my first communion opinions are strong and old fashioned! And only my opinion after all.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Sarvi.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Sarvi.
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Fixed the hyperlink, now the pattern number should take you to your intended link. (Turns out it needed the http bit.)

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

i was able to zoom in on the Sears pic and it looks like it is a curved band that wraps completely around to take the place of a cap sleeve, gathered/pinched in the front. [I was in love with a version of this for my senior high school ball, but it did not turn out at all. :(]
    I think the best candidate for modifying into this is the Croquet dress view B? or a hybrid of that and the fairytale? Your pattern piece would kind of be a curved strip, almost like a hem facing, on top of a square neckline.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

oh durrr, you could also use the Garden Party pattern as a jumping-off point, just without the gathers in the bodice.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have a Burda pattern, with a separate bolero, you may have.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9785 if it will work.

I do see it goes from an 11…. may be a bit big.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

This is pretty too http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9786 ( but I don’t have it)

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

Thank you all for your helpful links and suggestions. I ordered the vintage butterick style, since the bodice most closely resembles the one in the dress. I can make the other modifications (definitely losing the pointy waist!) but was unsure how to create that wrap-around piece. I guess I know what the “generation gap” is now…………..when styles you wore as a teenager are now the styles that * your * kids now want to have! LOL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.