Oliver + S

Invisible zipper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Jo Ann @fordjoann

I must be blind! I have 5 inches of extra zipper tape after sewing to the dot. I can’t find on the pattern what to do with this extra length. Thanks for help in directing me to the instructions. I see where it says to leave it hanging for now but not with what to do with it.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Once you’re happy with the zipper, and you’ve sewn the bottom skirt, you will stitch the extra zipper tape to the skirts seam allowance.
    However with that much extra I’d be inclined to shorten the zipper a bit first. You need to handstitch round and round and round the teeth to create a new stopping point. Then cut the zipper an inch or two below that point. Don’t use your good scissors to cut the teeth of the zip!
    Keep following the instructions, you’ll see what to do soon enough.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I never knew you were supposed to cut off the extra! Why? So it doesn’t feel lumpy?

LINK
    Jo Ann @fordjoann

Thank you so much! I loved the invisible zipper and had no problem sewing it. I couldn’t find the length needed so I had to get a larger size.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Well you’re not meant to cut off the extra, but five inches of extra?! That would threats to hang below the hem of the skirt!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I usually buy long zippers and just cut them to the length I need so I don’t have a big inventory of different lengths. You can simply zigzag over the teeth at the length you want, or you can buy metal stoppers to place at the end of the zipper. If you use a pliers you can also pull out the extra coil, but it can take a little fiddling to do this well. Then cut the coil when you reach the zipper stop and you’ll be left with just the tape, so it’s not scratchy or annoying at the inside of the dress. I should do a video on this sometime!

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Yes please,Liesl! I’ve always wondered how to do this and just can’t picture it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.