Oliver + S

Hopscotch dress as a Baby Day gown-thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

So, Miss Trixie is growing at a fast rate and has nearly sized out of her baby nighties.
    However, she still spends much of her day sleeping so she is not really needing proper outfits yet.
    I had a light bulb moment that the Hopscotch dress in a soft interlock would make a perfect Day gown.
    Any tips for me?
    I will be making the tiny size, how is the length?
    Is it a very wide fit?
    She wears a singlet and I don’t mind a bit peeping out but I prefer it not to be too low or it won’t look as nice.

You awesome ladies were so much help with the Field Trip trousers I hope you will all chime in again.

Thank you!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I made Ellie a hopscotch dress recently in a jersey knit. I made a 2T with 4T-length sleeves (sorry I haven’t made a smaller size yet). I found the 2T to have enough length in the body but the chest is a snug fit. The crossover bodice comes up fairly high so modesty/too much peeking out in front isn’t an issue. My biggest concern are the sleeves – Ellie has skinny arms but the sleeves are almost too tight – could be just that the fabric I used is too firm, but I think next time I’ll cut them a bit wider.

Not sure if that helps, but that was my experience with the pattern. Your tip on making the neck binding extend past the edges of the crossover part of the dress front was very helpful!

Trixie is growing up too fast! She will look so sweet in anything you sew her, I look forward to pictures!

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

No help but I can’t wait to see it.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Where would you prefer the length to be on her Nicole? I was thinking the same actually regarding the pattern. It starts at the six month size doesn’t it though? Are you thinking make now to grow into?

I would guess (strictly) it would fall around mid calf if this is any help but then I am in the same boat and have never made the tiny sizes and I am going on how it went on my very tall Imogen.

As we agricultural people would say, Miss Trixie is in a good paddock!

LINK
    Inder @Inder

I made it for Maggie in the 6 month size, and it was adorable, not super wide, but a bit low cut in the chest? http://www.inderlovesfolkart.com/2013/01/happy-new-year.html

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

This was one of my favorites for the twins when they were little. It is on the slimmer side, so it fit Georgia better and for a longer time. Here were a few of their 6 month ones: http://sewingforfour.blogspot.com/2012/03/hopscotch-dresses.html?m=0

LINK
    Elizabeth @Ekmcnally

My experience with the 3T size was a slim fit- far slimmer than any other O+S pattern I’ve sewn. But I’m not sure about the smallest sizes!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Brilliant, thanks Ladies.
    I have some very stretchy soft cotton lycra I will make the prototype with.

The links were super helpful.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

I do think it’s a bit snug in the arms if your baby is chubby, but not to the point where it’s been too small for mine. šŸ™‚

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Inder I figure if I use a stretchy knit it should be useable and give me some leeway.
    She is divinely chubby.
    Thank you!

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

Slightly off topic, but you all seem very knowledgeable on this topic :). What would be your recommendations for making the playtime dress (woven version) in a smaller size than offered? Ultimately we would like to achieve a look similar to the bubble dress (which goes down to a 0-3M, I believe), but need long sleeves, if that helps any. Suggestions on the simplest way to do this! Ready, set, go. . .

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

What about just making a two-piece outfit and layering a lullaby layette long-sleeved top under a bubble dress?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@FrancesSuzanne, I am no expert but I overlay patterns when I want to size down.

So I would lay the Bubble dress bodice over the Playtime then flip over and perhaps fold some out?
    Just a running thought….

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

@mkhs – We discussed a similar option, but felt like the under shirt needed to be more fitted, plus that would involve 2 pieces { we are slow and somewhat lazy if there is a quicker way – ha! šŸ™‚ } @Nicole you make it sound so simple! We plan to give it a try while crossing our fingers. . .and toes. . .and legs! THANK YOU both for your help!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Was this a month ago? Really?

It worked out so well https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/16062968480/in/photostream/

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.