Oliver + S

Help me design a dress for a country/western/hoe-down father-daughter dance!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    onehappymamma @onehappymamma

Hello sewing friends!

In about a month, my oldest daughter and my husband will be attending a country/western/hoe-down theme father-daughter dance, and of course I want to make a new outfit for the occasion!

I need ideas.

My only thought (and I am totally not committed to it yet!) so far is the somewhat obvious red gingham fabric.

Help!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What size is she? That may help with pattern suggestions:) Nicole made a cute Swingset skirt with fringe that was cowgirl like.

LINK

She is an average 8-year old, a straight size 8. 🙂

Thanks! I will check that out!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What about a lengthened Classic Picnic top in red gingham with a chambray Sketchbook tied in a knot, or a modified Art Museum vest to look sort of like a denim vest? Or you could probably even easier use the sketchbook for a denim vest. I love the flowy dress under a vest or tied shirt. Just my two cents, anyways:)

And of course, boots.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Brittney.
    LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I don’t know how to properly attach a photo, but if you click on the image it will pull up a larger, full shot version.

LINK

Ok yes!! That is perfect! She already has great boots, so we’re set there. I know she will love that outfit. Thanks for your help!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

You’re welcome! I am totally considering running it by my 9 yo, she already has a nice chambray shirt, maybe not in gingham though, being it would be for every day wear… So, thank you for posing the question! 🙂

LINK

Ha! Glad to help! 🙂

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

@georgeandizzy that’s adorable! I love it – would also be cute using a lengthened LTTS tutu for the skirt part.

@onehappymamma
    , another suggestion (for a pattern I don’t own, haha) would be a jumprope dress with a circle skirt modification – I feel like I’ve seen several floating around Flickr, and it would be adorable in denim & cotton lace, or gingham with white accents. It doesn’t look like it would be too difficult to overlay a western-style yoke over the top of the bodice back and front shoulders.

Again, I don’t own that pattern, and I’m in love with Brit’s idea, but thought I’d throw my idea into the mix ;-).

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about a full tiered skirt to go with the chambray shirt? I make these all the time, in fact wore a floor length one to a wedding today. I usually make them out of all one fabric. Here’s a tutorial for ones made from multiple fabrics, but it will give you the idea.
    http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cutting-corners/2013/9/16/priscilla-patchwork-skirt-tutorial/
    I tend to increase each tier by 1.5.

LINK

Ooh, I like those ideas too! Thank you! Decisions, decisions…

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Do you want to do a one-piece dress? I made a dress out of the Little Lisette blouse with a plain top (in velvet) and skirt on wool plaid — fabrics chosen for winter wear, as the kids’ school show was Christmas in the Country. (pic in the o&s flickr)…

LINK
    AgnesJoan @Agnesjoan

You could do a swing skirt out of chambray with a gingham petticoat ruffle. You could use the gingham for bandanas for both of them. If you make the petticoat ruffle detachable the skirt would be more versitial.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The Hula Hoop skirt? With a knotted Sketchbook shirt?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.