Oliver + S

Has anyone made the Red Riding Hood Cape in vertical striped fabric?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Jacki @JackiR

I have chosen a vertical striped fabric for the cape and wondering if I’ve made the right decision! Has anyone else made it in stripes? Do you have any photos? Is it possible to line up stripes at all in the seams, or is that an impossible task?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I haven’t seen it in a stripe at all that I can recall. Since the pieces are narrow at the top and wider at the bottom you will end up cutting your stripes on an angle. If you are then able to match them together you will effectively get chevrons at each seam.
    I’d play with some miniaturised pattern pieces and striped paper first to see if you like the effect.
    Or maybe hang the stripe matching and alternate vertical with horizontal for each panel. Could be an interesting look.

LINK
    Jacki @JackiR

Thanks for that idea – I quite like the idea of the alternate vertical/horizontal look. Might give it a go, as you said, on paper first. (Another good idea!)

LINK
    Jacki @JackiR

Well, thanks again for the advice. Very excited about completing the cape and rapt with how it turned out. I did the front and back panels vertical and the side panels horizontal. Looks great.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh that did work well! Very cute.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.