Oliver + S

Fairy tale with stretch lace?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    dlbh @dlbh

I love the fairy tale pattern! It is my favorite dress pattern! I have made numerous variations of this pattern for my four young granddaughters, including heirloom sewing Easter dresses, silk Christmas dresses and Halloween costumes. Now I would like to use it to recreate a stretch lace party dress I saw in a catalogue. Is it possible? How would I adjust the pattern for use with a stretch fabric? I have four Easter dresses to make ASAP! Thank you.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

It depends on how much stretch the lace has to it. If you’re going to use it as an overlay with a non-stretch under it I would say you wouldn’t make any changes. If you’re using it with a stretch fabric underneath it, and they are both fairly stretchy, you may be able to eliminate the back zip, cut off the mid back seam allowance and then cut it on the fold, and move the skirt seam to the sides. You can then bind it with knit, if you eliminate the seam allowances from the neck (and the arm hole if you are making the sleeveless version.)

LINK
    dlbh @dlbh

Thank you, thank you Joanna. I thought a similar idea for the woven lining. The non-zipper version sounds easy. I saw in a post discussion here (turning a library dress into a Tea knockoff) the bodice would need to be slimmer in order to fit snugly against the body. Would love to try this version if I can get the measurements right.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.