Oliver + S

Fabric choices

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

I’m becoming a grandmother in December! I want to sew the pants and jacket from the layette pattern but it’s been so long since I had little ones to dress, I’m not sure about the best weight for each piece. I have some pinwale corduroy that I thought would be perfect for the pants… but now I’m wondering whether that would be better for the jacket? I have some coordinating quilting cotton (prints) for the balance of the outfit(s). Any feedback from those of you who have the experience I lack (but will be making up VERY SOON) dressing wee ones will be most appreciated! xo, Nancy

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

My little guy was born last summer, so I might feel differently about it if I’d had a winter baby (heck, my guy barely wore clothes at all for his first month!). But I think corduroy might be better for the jacket, with something less bulky to cover those bunchy little newborn legs.

Congratulations to you and to the new parents!

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

Thank you, Enbee! That is so helpful!

We are quite excited here!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think for a winter baby the pinwale cord might be fine — the pants haven’t got elastic at the ankle. If you’re one of our Southern Hemisphere friends and having a summery December, then yes, perhaps just the jacket in pinwale.

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

Thanks Sarvi! I forgot to mention that we are in San Francisco! It will pretend to be cold during the winter months!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A very soft pinwale would be lovely. The pants fit for a long time too.

Congratulations Nancy, I am so excited for you.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Pinwale corduroy or even denim (for baby jeans) would be perfect!

What a wonderful event to be looking forward to and to sew for! Congratulations!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Nancy, congratulations! Lots of wonderful sewing adventures ahead. I have made two coat/pants outfits from pinwale corduroy using the Layette pattern (only sad that it wasn’t “invented” when some of my ‘clients’ were younger). The pinwale is perfect for babies – you’ll remember from your own mothering days that babies wear nappies, singlets, socks etc and tend to overheat quickly so the lightweight cord is just right. Washes like a rag, and dries quickly. Have fun!!

Attachments:
    LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Pants- see above.

Attachments:
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, I have sewn for a Bay Area winter baby before! I made the pants in flannel, lined with double gauze and the other way around, gauze lined with flannel, worked out to be quite comparable to pinwale cord in weight. The mama reported they were a great weight for the weather there, should you find yourself fabric shopping for another set down the road.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

That’s really interesting to know, Sarvi – you are very inventive with fabric combinations.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.