Oliver + S

Elastic how long for size 7?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Has anyone made a size 7 and can tell me how long to cut the elastic? These are for a surprise gift.

Thanks!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@miss_Sonja if you look at any pattern you should find body waist measurements for size 7. General rule of thumb is to cut the elastic one inch shorter than the waist measurement. Depends a lot on your elastic and your kid…
    For my just turned 7 son who is quite lean I would cut about 22″. I think this is about 1.5″ less than the standard size 7 waist measurement.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Thanks, Lightning. I’ve always had the child in front of me for the elastic-never referenced those measurements for that purpose so it didn’t occur to me.

LINK
    Btmom @btmom

I’m making size 7 shorts as well. I cut the elastic at 21″ (Kid has a 23″ waist), butted ends together so no overlap. But when finished, the elastic length is not much less than the waisteband of the shorts, that there is barely any gathering, if that makes sense. I’m concerned about them staying up on him. It’s a surprise gift that will be mailed so I want to make sure they’re going to fit him. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks 🙂

LINK
    lakepa @lakepa

Btmom, you can make an adjustable waistband by using buttonhole elastic. I get mine at JoAnn’s. It’s not very sturdy so I use a piece with 4 or 5 buttonholes and sew it to the end of the measured skirt elastic. I sew a 5/8″ button to the inside of the waistband beside where the elastic emerges from the casing. Choose a buttonhole and push the button through it. Measure the waistband and choose another buttonhole if necessary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.