Oliver + S

Easter/spring sewing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Since many of us are spending lots of time indoors during the colder months, it’s a great chance to start planning spring sewing. What’s in store at your house? Any big plans? Colorful projects in the works? Do tell!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am starting on my Easter sewing this week. My three youngest boys are wearing their Sketchbook shirt with a new Art Museum sets. I am sewing these for a 10 year old and a 12 so the challenge is sewing them too look good for the older boys, they will lined fully in a chambray. The little one will have a bunny vest lined in chambray. Now the fun one is my daughter’s dress! A Garden party with smocking added to it. I used non traditional colors for all my children. My daughter’s dress will tie tighter all the children’s looks. The colors are peach, soft teal, grey and a natural light brown. I am so excited to get these all sewn!!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I knew you’d have something great planned, @mama_knowles! Can’t wait to see.

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

Whew! Thank you for the reminder that Easter is in March this year!

My youngest needs new dress pants, I wanted to make a vest for him, and he needs a new dress shirt. Obviously, @mama_knowles has her act together, so I’m going to follow suit and make up the Art Museum set and a new Sketchbook shirt. The girl will need a dress. A collared Fairy Tale might be in order, unless she chooses a vintage dress pattern. The oldest is now at the phase in his teen life where we will be headed to the store for a new shirt and tie. He’s recently decided that wearing handmade is reserved for costumes and cosplay, not “actual” clothing 🙁

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Ah yes! For Easter, I’m also planning a Sketchbook shirt, Art Museum vest and maybe pants for DS — like yours, @thejennigirl, he will tolerate handmade if it is for dressy occasions or uniforms — not “everyday” where his judgement would be called into question! Ah tweens… he’ll be growing out of o+S sizes soon anyhow! Except this will do double duty for dd’s first communion for him.
    DD has not decided on her Easter dress yet, but I myself am leaning toward a simple 2+2 in a heavier fabric like baby cord. But the big project looming is her first communion dress for the first week of May — yes it will be a masterwork, yes she has seen my Pinterest board, and she’s designed a full floor-length dress with guipure lace overlay. I’ll need to make another Fairytale bodice toile, and figure out how much I can spend on fabric… (ominous bassoon music…) 😀

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Two of my younger siblings got engaged over the holidays and are planning fall weddings – my four children and my niece and nephew will be in the weddings. I will be sewing two sets of three flower girls’ dresses and hopefully just the one set of three Art Museum ensembles that the boys will wear for both. My sister and I chose a light gray cotton suiting with white pinstripes for the vests and pants and I am planning to sew them soon so that my sons can also wear them for Easter.

I probably won’t start the dresses until late spring, but my sister wants coral with Tiffany blue sashes, and my future sister-in-law is leaning towards white with plum-colored sashes. I have not decided which pattern to use. This is my inspiration (but different colors).

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It sounds like you’ve got some great plans! I can’t wait to see everything you’re sewing.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I can’t believe Easter is only at the end of March! I have something lacey and heirloomish (is this a word?) planned. But the time has to permit!

@roundtheworldgirl
    the plans for your son’s outfits for both wedding and Easter sound really gorgeous. I hope they come together easily for you.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

I made a playtime tunic for Valentine’s and figured while I was at it I would do a second to match a pair of red polka dot playtime leggings I had already made. It was my first time making the tunic and I love it, it is just so adorable!

LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

Here is the second one, I am really happy with it as well. Thank you Liesl, my little girl loves her new ‘skirts’ as she calls them! Next up I have some fabric with bunnies and another with Easter eggs, just need to decide on which O+S pattern I’m making next!

Attachments:
    LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

@ldk237 I especially love the heart one, it’s lovely. What was the fabric you used? Have you added the pictures to the oliver + s flickr pool? It’s a great place to be inspired by what others have done with the patterns, and to inspire others with your gorgeous outfits.

LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

The fabric is Michael Miller Sweetheart Hearts & Flowers Red, you can see it here:
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0401964/michael-miller-sweetheart-hearts-flowers-red
    It was even prettier than I expected when I received my order. Don’t you love it when that happens? With very careful planning I was able to get the size 3T Playtime tunic out of one yard of this fabric, even after pre shrinking.

I haven’t added anything to Flickr yet although I do love looking at all of the beautiful sewing! I was a little put off by having to sign up for a yahoo email address but I will likely go ahead and do it at some point.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Very sweet! And yes, don’t forget to add your photos to the Flickr pool!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@ldk237 do you have an instagram account? I have noticed lots of ladies seem to be posting their things on instagram also, if this is any help. We would love to see your sewing. The items above are just gorgeous.

I was pulling some rather beautiful fabric from my stash today with a bid to make a dress for my toddler to wear to a memorial on Friday. I came across a good sized piece of Amy Butler fabric from her Love range. It reminds me of paint splashed over a surface (the one with bouquets of flowers), rather like you would have at the end of colouring eggs for Easter.

I have decided to use some of it to make a Library dress as the fabric needs to be shown off and, should I not have the chance to make a frothy Carousel dress, Chloë may wear it for Easter instead. It’s colourful without being over the top and is quite sophisticated but could lend to any age (I made a Teaparty romper for her as a newborn from the same print). It is one of my favourites. I reminds me of Spring and spring and Easter mean life or “new life” and because she will wear it to a celebration of a life, need I say more, it just fits!

I have noticed lots of wrap dresses and shirt dresses popping up lately, so I have decided to use a beautiful piece of linen (that looks like a Monet painting) to make a Traveller dress. Of course, I haven’t tried my heavily modified pattern pieces on the fabric to see if they fit yet and I am so hoping they do as, I am planning to have this as MY Easter dress.

For my eldest child, She has asked for some wonderful and bright pink patterned fabric (the designer name and range escape me at present) to be made into an older Lisette dress from the Simplicity set of patterns – the fit and flare floral one – again I cannot remember the number of it😳😕. But anyway she has asked for one for a while so I will ask again to make sure she really wants me to spend the time to make it and then I will go ahead. She won’t like that I will have to measure her again but if she wants a dress…

This year I plan to make the “boys” a new shirt each. I have some Tula Pink fabric from the True colors range for Noah and some “waves” for Murray. I am hoping I will get the opportunity to make them. And had I had the chance before Friday I would have then, but a little dress and two big ones is all I can muster right now.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

I don’t have an intagram account either, I suppose I should get with the times! 🙂 Love reading about and looking at everyone else’s sewing though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.