Oliver + S

Dresses: the quick makes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I am yet to make a dress from oliver+s for my girl(6yo). So which dresses are quick to make and which take longer? How would you rank the dresses you have made for speed?

And secondly do you have a favorite dress and why?

Thanks

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Roller Skate is the quickest and seems to look fantastic regardless of the fabric used. The scissor ranking is a pretty good indicator of how long a dress will take. I don’t find the 3 scissors patterns harder, just longer to do because of the details.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

hopscotch dress! Easy to sew, especially if you have a serger. Easy to wear as it’s made from knit fabric 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think the Seashore is a pretty speedy sew http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143877917244/

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Thanks for the tip about the scissors and time Robin.

Thanks for that suggest Heidi I had overlooked that one. But I am not fussed on knit sewing. Well to be more honest it is probably the Lycra part that I find frustrating. Anything I have with Lycra in doesn’t seem to last long because Lycra tends to deteriorate fast, or is it not up to out fierce Aussie sun?

I actually have a piece of linen I would like to see up for her.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@Kerrilyn as an Aussie cyclist I can share some lycra laundry tips!
    Wash lycra clothes (bike gear, swim suits, high lycra content knits) in wool wash not detergent.
    Always dry on a clothes horse in the shade not on the line in full sun! Now that the sponsorships have ended I have to make my knicks last forever!!
    Second the Roller skate as one of the quickest dresses to sew, and I love the Hopscotch too. Ice Cream dress could be a nice showcase for a piece of linen, pretty quick sew.

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Thanks Nicole and Lightning McStitch for your suggestions. And for the tips regarding Lycra. The sun and wet clothes seem to be a killer for Lycra.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Yes – roller skate, hopscotch and Icecream (my personal fav – I have made a colour blocked version using linen) – & adding bubble, tea party (but both only go to size 5, although my 6.5 yr old still fits into them), music box and popover 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Justine J. Reason: Forgot one!
    LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

If it is a plain linen and you are in sunny climes, I think the seashore. I love the icecream for a quickish sew, but you would need more than one fabric for this. An icecream sundress in linen would be gorgeous, please make it!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

In order of speed from fastest to slowest, I have made:

Quickest:
    Music Box
    Playtime
    Seashore

Slightly less quick but still pretty fast:
    Ice Cream
    Bubble

A little fiddlier on account of the pleats and sleeves:
    Family Reunion

Most time-consuming:
    Jumprope
    Playdate

My favorite is Playtime – I’ve sewn four of them and have another cut out, but I don’t think it is the best match for linen. I also really love view B of Jumprope (especially in corduroy for fall). Music Box with a shortened, gathered skirt is my go-to for baby gifts. Ice Cream in linen is very nice, though – I made one using a quilting cotton floral with natural-colored linen for contrast. The nice thing about Ice Cream, too, is that it looks good with a below-knee or above-knee hem, and the fit is generous so it can last a couple years.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think the Bubble is the one I can do the fastest from start to finish — no terribly tricky seams, only a few buttons, fully lined so you needn’t be particular about a fussy seam finish, and if you use elastic you don’t have to hem it (and if you hem it, you don’t have to use elastic)! The ones where only the bodice is lined always seem to take me much longer as I have to either topstitch carefully, or press and pin so carefully if I am going to stitch in the ditch. I also like that it can look very dressy in a special fabric or very playful in a casual one.

I only made the Roller Skate once and made such a mess of matching the pattern printed on the fabric at the back (and I made it in far too heavy and shifty a fabric) that I haven’t yet gone back to it. No fault of the pattern’s though!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Although … now am picturing the Ice Cream in all one color … hm …

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, it helped me to sort through the couple of dress patterns I do own. Roundtheworldgirl thank you for ranking the ones you have sewn, that was useful. I am leaning towards the Icecream as I have that pattern coming in the mail but I do think the Family Reunion (which I would like to own) would look good in a plain linen.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

The Popover is the fastest sew ever, and a good showcase for gorgeous fabric. My favorite to sew is the Jump Rope, because I love plackets, but the Carousel would look gorgeous in linen.
    Sun-drying, though eco-friendly and free, is bad news for lycra… so is water/detergent that is too alkaline.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I always make ice cream in one color, actually. I find Roller skate just a smidge faster, but once you get the hang of Ice cream, that goes quick too. This fall, I made ice cream out of navy cord. it layers nicely with long sleeves underneath or a sweater on top. but i think it would work equally well all in linen for the summer. I find Roller Skate more specifically spring. Still, it could always get a sweater.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.