Oliver + S

Could I add a lining after-the-fact?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

After making my most recent everyday skirt, (and literally, wearing it everyday this last week!) I think I might prefer it with a lining.

Is it possible to add one after I’ve already made the skirt? Has anyone done something so nutty before?

And, what fabric would you recommend? The skirt is made of a linen that is dark brown with a thin black pinstripe so I wouldn’t want anything light in color, but I do want it light to the touch.

LINK
    mariasasse @mariasasse

You are not alone. I also have this problem. I am interested in the answeres too. I would think as a lining a thin voile would be great, but I am no expert. I am playing with the idea of making a simple slip myself and use it underneath.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I haven’t done it but it could be done if you’re friendly with your seam ripper. šŸ™‚
    I’d cut an identical skirt without pockets or waistband out of lining and about 1/2″ shorter. Then detach the waistband and reattach it over both skirt and lining. If you’re happy to have topstitching effect then the reattaching could be a one sew step by putting the waistband, with inner and outer seam allowances folded under, over the skirt and lining and stitching the lot.
    That should also allow you to leave the elastic channels of the waistband alone.
    It won’t be fun, but it will be doable.
    Or: Make the lining skirt, finish the top seam allowance, fold it towards the skirt then handstitch the lining’s folded edge to the bottom of the finished waistband. Saves unpicking anything.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

As for fabric, do choose something slippery. I have a winter style/weight everyday skirt and it needs a slippery lining to stop it catching on tights.
    Bemberg rayon or acetate or silk… I’d avoid a cotton like batiste or voile. Perfect for summer and bare legs but no good with stockings.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Yes! I have had skirts that just need an extra layer, whether for sheerness or for the itch factor. The easiest way is to blind-stitch the lining to the inside of the waistband. (skirt wrong side out, with the lining sticking upward, then flip down after sewing to prevent roughness. Then if you like, a few tacks on the bottom to the hem to keep them together.) I like acetate (China silk) or habotai, or rayon knit meant for lingerie.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

Great ideas! I’m glad I asked. Although my seam ripper and I know each other too well, I think I’ll go the hand stitch route. Shouldn’t take too long, and it’ll make a tv program seem productive.

I think in this case a voile or batiste might work better. I live in Costa Rica and I’ve done away with all my tights. šŸ™‚

Thank you so much!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.